Sugar's Campus Store, Georgetown - Soured.

Anybody familiar with this place? It's been a Georgetown student hangout/eating spot for decades, and it's about to lose its lease.

The "Hungry Prof" is a hungry prof at Georgetown (and really should be publishing articles that will help him get tenure rather than posts on a discussion board). I had dinner with some students last night (my post reviewing the Georgetown dining hall is forthcoming), and the students spent much of the time debating the fate of Sugar's. The students majoring in economics said, "Good riddance. The food sucks. It can no longer compete." The students majoring in history said, "We can't lose institutions like this."

Here's the story from the Georgetown campus newspaper.

I thought this story might be of interest to some, especially those who are concerned with the disapperance of older, family-owned places.

Somebody here must have a memory of eating there twenty, forty, sixty years ago?

i remember Sugar's fondly from my years on the Hilltop in the early and mid 90s. What's most interesting about the article is that the property is owned by the owner of Wisey's. Wisemiller's current location is owned by GU (or at least was historically) as one of their investment properties. Could the reason that the Sugar's lease wasn't renewed be due to Wisemiller's moving into the owner's own building???

Edited by mstevens

I thought this story might be of interest to some, especially those who are concerned with the disapperance of older, family-owned places.

Somebody here must have a memory of eating there twenty, forty, sixty years ago?

I remember it from my own Hoya days, a little over a decade ago. I liked the fries and milkshakes. The food was thoroughly average, though. I have to give it to the Econ students on this one.

Wisey's, on the other hand, must stay. Viva la cheeseburger madness.

Edited by reverbbrad

What?  You mean Wisemillers is moving?  Where am I going to get those half-smokes at lunch?

I was just surmising that this may be the reason that sugar's is closing. The article linked to in the original post said that Sugar's building was owned by the owner of Wisey's. Since Wisemiller's is located in University owned property it seems logical that maybe the reason the lease wasn't renewed was for Wisemillers to move into the soon-to-be-vacant Sugar's space. Just a hunch... but it makes sense, especially since it's only a block further away from campus.

I don't think Wisey's is going anywhere. If anything, they might be opening another place in the Sugar's space.

One of the students last night said--and I'm not sure if she was joking--that the Wisey's people already have plans in the works to open a place (in an altogether different location) called "Chicken Madness" after their legendary sandwich of the same name.