Artificial Eggs Now On Sale at Whole Foods

FunnyJohn

"A radical "˜artificial egg' backed by Paypal billionaire Peter Thiel and Bill Gates goes on sale in US supermarkets for the first time today.

Made from plants, it can replace eggs in everything from cakes to mayonnaise - without a chicken ever coming close to the production process."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416808/Artificial-egg-PLANTS-backed-Bill-Gates-set-revolutionize-cooking-goes-sale-Whole-Foods.html#ixzz2eaKxCyY3 

I think it is very interesting.  If they can get the product to work like real eggs, it would be very helpful for people with allergies or are concerned about raw eggs.  It also has great potential in develping countries as an additional source of protein.

That said, I would not rush out to get them.

This is interesting but I'd need comprehensive and fully disclosive information about how these are made and ingredient sources to even consider it.  Whether GMO ingredients are used is just one question. A full accounting of the carbon footprint and required resources (e.g., land, labor, water) would be another to form a good view about whether this is or isn't a good thing for the developing world.  Feel like we've been burned too many times by promising new "innovations" in food and ag only to have the other shoe drop once investigative journalists do some digging.  The notion of "real food," locally sourced to the greatest degree feasible, resonates.

We stopped buying supermarket eggs years ago in favor of farmers' markets and farms where vendors' flocks are smaller, more humanely managed and verifiable.

Not at all convinced about this new "innovation" but open minded and hope to learn more.

• Like 1