1990, 1991, 1992 Ridge Monte Bello

Tonight I drank the Kool-Aide and I enjoyed every drop :lol:

This was my first (and long overdue) visit to Dino, and I was not disappointed.

In all honesty, I was hardly arriving incognito. Dean was expecting me and he knew that I had 3 old vintages of Ridge Montebello in tow (one of his very favorite labels) which I was dying to share with Dean because I wanted to have this experience and get his impressions of the three wines. So I didn't have to order a thing, the service was über-attentive and the company incredibly congenial. Dean and his wife joined my friends Daniel Hubbard and his wife (who were treating me) so I cannot be unbiased. I am enthusiastically and effusively in the Dino camp, and I make no apologies for it.

I look forward to many return visits, and I hope that we can enjoy a DR night there once in a while.

Tonight I drank the Kool-Aide and I enjoyed every drop  :lol:

This was my first (and long overdue) visit to Dino, and I was not disappointed.

In all honesty, I was hardly arriving incognito.  Dean was expecting me and he knew that I had 3 old vintages of Ridge Montebello in tow (one of his very favorite labels) which I was dying to share with Dean because I wanted to have this experience and get his impressions of the three wines.  So I didn't have to order a thing, the service was über-attentive and the company incredibly congenial.  Dean and his wife joined my friends Daniel Hubbard and his wife (who were treating me) so I cannot be unbiased.  I am enthusiastically and effusively in the Dino camp, and I make no apologies for it.

I look forward to many return visits, and I hope that we can enjoy a DR night there once in a while.

I don't blame Dean for loving the Ridge Montebello. Which vintages did you drink? (I'm jelious!) My son uses the '94 Ridge MB as his benchmark wine for American Bordeaux blends.

I don't blame Dean for loving the Ridge Montebello.  Which vintages did you drink? (I'm jelious!)  My son uses the '94 Ridge MB as his benchmark wine for American Bordeaux blends.

1991, 1990, 1992. After completing inventory at 3 am the 1992 had opened up and was incredible. The 1991 was pretty perfect, if young, from the start. The 1990 is a big and tannic babe... infanticide is ugly but in this case delicious. All three had the classic Montebello green olive tang, especially in the nose. The aromas ranged from plums to spice to chocolate. None were "ready" to drink, even the 1991.

Edited by deangold

Montebello is good juice. Paul Draper is one of the good guys ITWB-fair pricing and quality hand in hand. I will happy to drink any leftovers Sunday :lol: BTW, what's the corkage policy as we're celebrating a new job for moi and champagne appears to be required?

I love Montebello - for my birthday last year we opened a 1992 and a 1993 - the 1993 was more perfumed and drinking beautifully. The 1992 could have used a few more years. I still have a bottle of 1991 left. :lol:

Last year the winery released library packs of 1991-1993 at local retail shops, and I am glad I snapped one up.

I'll probably get some 2005 on futures from the winery.

I'll probably get some 2005 on futures from the winery.

My Montebello collection goes back to 1974. I have 76, 78, 80,81,84,85, 86, 87, 94, 97, 99, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and am now deciding on my order of the 05. Probably I will order a 3 ltr and a couple of mags. They are saying it may be one of the most unique MB's ever!

My Montebello collection goes back to 1974.  I have 76, 78, 80,81,84,85, 86, 87, 94, 97, 99, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and am now deciding on my order of the 05.  Probably I will order a 3 ltr and a couple of mags.  They are saying it may be one of the most unique MB's ever!

why did you skip the 2000 vintage? Draper made lovely wine in that vintage, even if it is not at the level of some other vintages.

why did you skip the 2000 vintage?  Draper made lovely wine in that vintage, even if it is not at the level of some other vintages.

Based on the 2000 cab merlot Santa Cruz I thought the wines lacked the classical MB definition. Tasting the wine, while outstanding, it is not in a league with the other vintages surrounding it. Given the price, I passed and bought 99 Mayacamas cab for my cellar with the dollars that would have paid for the 2000 MB.