Bordeaux Futures

brr

don't buy futures. I think the general feeling is that there are some good wines and many average ones in 04 classified Bordeaux. IMO, 2001 is a vintage that is worth pursuing as it was overshadowed by 2000 similar to 1983 and 1982. 2002 has been described as very tannic and hard to drink. Given the extreme heat in 2003 in France, this vintage must be approached carefully. I won't get into right and left bank as this gets subjective. I haven't tasted enough wines to be more specific and I'm sure others will disagree with me. One wino's opinion.

I know a number of people who went to Bordeaux for this year's tasting. The three who's palettes I trust the most were not impressed. Most of them commented that they had a great nose, and a good finish, but lacked any middle. The structure is also suspect. Not surprising the Mouton did not impress people, but this was also the case with the 2000 vintage, and it is currently showing the best out of the first growths.

I would not buy any ’04 futures, there is still too much ’01, and ’02, floating around to pay the elevated prices for ’04.

Anybody purchasing  ? If so what are your buying ?

The classified chateaux have not released prices yet, waiting for Parker's published scores. Expect unprecedented high prices for the top wines. Smaller chateaux have begun releasing prices for '05 - Chateau Quinault l'Enclos in St. Emilion came out 85% higher than '04 causing eyebrows to raise (@ $480/case en primeur). 2004 is getting short shrift, although it is a classic vintage. There is a lot of it around and historically, the prices plummet to make way for the next vintage. '03 produced a greatly reduced crop, so those prices may maintain. Parker rates the quality of the '05's so high that he recommends looking at smaller estates who performed very well.