Martick's Restaurant Franí§ais, Baltimore- CLOSED

Nice article on Morris Martick. I don't think I ever saw Martick's discussed on eGullet. Definitely one of the most unusual dining experiences to be had in the DC/Baltimore area (I have a few good stories), starting with the fact that there's no exterior door handle (it's an old speakeasy, but it's probably helped as security in what is still a rough neighborhood). Go before it's too late (if this sounds like your type of thing... while the food is good, it's not so much about that).

I love Martick's. The food isn't great but I love it anyway. I confess that I am fond of the admittedly too sweet sweet potato soup, though. Morris is a real, live geniune character and his restaurant reflects that in spades.

One of my very best friends in the world used to work there many moons ago. She *swore* that he used to cook naked except for socks and shoes. And, when the food was done he would hold the plate up against his chest and make her walk up to him to retrieve it. This yummy tidbit has served to enhance his reputation in my eyes, although I've never had the nerve to ask him if it was true. On the many occasions I've been there, he's always been fully clothed.

And, I find that Martick's is also useful as a bright line test--if you can't appreciate Martick's, then you are more than likely fundamentally and irreparably uncool.

Baltfoodie's e-newsletter reports that Martick's has closed because his staff quit while he was away on vacation. I was not a fan, and I am sure there is more to this story, but there are sure going to be a lot of Baltimorons who are going to lament this if it turns out to be permanent.

Baltfoodie's e-newsletter reports that Martick's has closed because his staff quit while he was away on vacation. I was not a fan, and I am sure there is more to this story, but there are sure going to be a lot of Baltimorons who are going to lament this if it turns out to be permanent.

Morris Martick is alive and cooking. I ate there on Saturday night. Atmosphere is sort of cool. Serivce was good. Of the three of us, one of us loved the food, one thought it was ok and the other did not like the food.

Welcome, Whitemarshjohnny! There is a longer Martick's disussion on chowhound.com. The moldy, musty smell, peeling wallpaper, ripped plastic seat covers, soap-spotted jelly jar wine glasses (and that's before I even discuss the so-called "brasserie" fare) may appeal to some in Baltimore as "charming." I give Morris credit heading into the kitchen every day - but I'm just not drinking the charm Kool-aid.