Custom Knives vs. Store-Bought Knives

Pool Boy

Last year, I was contemplating another knife for home kitchen use. I have mostly Wusthofs then and now, and I liked the idea of a big ass knife (and it is great for some aspects), but bigger is not always better. Have an 8" that I love, but it does not hold its edge as long as I'd like. So was trying to find a shorter to mid range chef's knife that would hold an edge for a long time. A friend suggested going custom. I had never heard of this before, so he sent me a link to an article (see below) and it is excellent.

Here's a link to store-bought vs. custom knife article.

So after inquiring and getting lots of great information, I decided to order a custom knife from Weige Knives.

This guy makes beautiful, functional awesome knives. They are expensive, but this is the single best knife I have ever owned. It is incredible.  And you can be extremely specific about the design you want, the length, the metal, the handle, everything. I would highly recommend these knives to anyone wanting a great knife that is extremely function and holds its edge for a long time.

Here's a picture.

post-384-0-05416800-1400430563_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture.

This is a gorgeous knife.

Without reading the article, I had dinner at Eric Z's the other week, and we got to discussing this very topic. His opinion was that unless you're slicing sashimi for two hundred people a night, a good-quality, store-bought knife is all you need, and a custom knife (while it can be beautiful) is really more for pride of ownership. (He has some *beautiful* knives that are custom-made, btw.)

This is no different than most things in life, I suppose. I personally like the idea of getting custom-made things and giving them a special place in my heart, even if the actual performance might not be any greater than what the guy down the street could buy.

This is a gorgeous knife.

Without reading the article, I had dinner at Eric Z's the other week, and we got to discussing this very topic. His opinion was that unless you're slicing sashimi for two hundred people a night, a good-quality, store-bought knife is all you need, and a custom knife (while it can be beautiful) is really more for pride of ownership. (He has some *beautiful* knives that are custom-made, btw.)

This is no different than most things in life, I suppose. I personally like the idea of getting custom-made things and giving them a special place in my heart, even if the actual performance might not be any greater than what the guy down the street could buy.

Probably true. But I tell you, read the article. While I was thinking of a carbon steel blade, I know myself better than that (I'd get annoyed with the extra cleaning/care, plus I'd probably chop a digit or two off more likely). So I opted for 440C stainless, which is almost the best of both worlds.  I swear to you, this knife makes it easier for me to prep. It is so in balance, it is so an extension of my hand and brain it just makes it easier to do everything. I use it almost exclusively now.

Probably true. But I tell you, read the article. 

I just read it, and it's a pretty compelling argument. The one thing I notice the most about custom knives isn't the handles; it's the blades. They are (or can be) awesome, sometimes with absolutely beautiful patterns on them.