Changes in Clarendon

cheezepowder

Being a native of Arlington, I can say that change was and is still in the cards for more of Clarendon. It will continue as the demand continues to grow. Oddly enough it will also benefit, in this case Falls Church, the uprooting of Clarendon business' and settling down elsewhere, like The lazy Sundae.

I too am a native arlingtonian and have seen clarendon change over the years. I used to go to the A&W Root beer stand in the basement of Sears to get a dog on friday's. And I can't forget the Little Tavern around the corner from Red Top Cab. Clarendon back then had what I call "character". Not that the current Clarendon is bad, because I don't think it is. Clarendon certainely has alot of flavor. Economic growth is good for the area but an unfortunate casualty is the small biz owner. I for one like the single owner. The little guys with the balls to give it a go. But you can see the demise of the single owner everywhere.

Unfortunately I was part of the "new and improved" revamp of Clarendon when I moved down from NY 2yrs ago to open the Best Cellars across from Container Store. At the time I thought it was a great location, except for the fact that there was a Whole Foods, a mere 2 blocks away.

I've seen tenants struggle to keep up with business in those 2 yrs and I have been upset when local favs disappear, only to be replaced by another larger corporation...It may look good on paper but I'll miss the lil places where everyone knew my name.