"The Dinner Party" (1974-1979), Massive Installation Artwork by Judy Chicago (1939-), On Display at The Brooklyn Museum

DonRocks

Of special note is the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art and Judy Chicago's monumental piece, The Dinner Party.

I've always been curious about "The Dinner Party," but have never spoken with anyone who has actually seen it in person.

Just how accessible is it (each side of the triangle is 16 yards long), and and how much time would you say needs to be spent there to get a good feel for it? Is the setup conducive to spending, say, an hour? Is there any reading material handy, or do you have to buy it at the gift shop first? It looks like it's fenced in, and unless you can get close enough to hover a little bit, I doubt it could be fully appreciated (each plate, for example, is hand-painted).

The shape of it is something I've always found amusing (I take my inspiration from very disparate places).

It's all very accessible. The piece has three stages, the first is a hallway with banners, which then leads you to the main area with the tables and dinner plates. pretty much all you can do is walk around the triangle, but you can certainly hover up close. Next there is a room which goes into detail about each place setting and the corresponding women, which was very helpful to understand the full scope of the piece. Finally they have an Ipad station set up with additional information.

We probably spent a good hour. Or you could spend 10 minutes. Depends upon how deep you want to go.

• Like 1