Thomas Dolby (1958-), Multi-Talented New Wave Singer-Songwriter from London - Also a Session Musician, Producer, and Entrepreneur

Pool Boy

This guy is still an underrated gem still 20 years plus after his last real efforts. Sure he got immediate fame for 'She Blinded Me With Science', but he has a lot of great little tunes.

I've always thought "One Night In Bangkok" sounded like it might have been by Thomas Dolby - more so than "Hyperactive!" - it's not representative that "Hyperactive!" should be his second-most famous song; however, "She Blinded Me With Science" is pretty snappy - I'm surprised it only made #5 on the Billboard charts.

Apparently, Dolby's currently a professor at Johns Hopkins, although I wonder if that means he's a "professor" in quotes.

I always thought he had something to do with "Dolby Stereo," although I'm not sure what, and it's not coming up on quick internet searches.

(Does anyone hear Kraftwerk and Devo in his music?)

HE had nothing to do with Dolby but co-opted the moniker since that is what friends referred to him as as a teenager.

He had a lot to do with a company that allowed the digitization of audio, especially for mobile phones. Not sure of his precise role, but I think he ended up making a tidy sum at it.