Why do consumers write reviews: A survey of 600 frequent review writers

DaveO

Here is a general survey of people who tend to write reviews.  Their reviews could be of restaurants but they can also be of other businesses types.   Interesting findings.   The underlying question is "why".  The responses are informative.

(I believe the survey questionnaire went out to tons of people and these are the 600 who responded and acknowledged being active reviewers.

Here is a general survey of people who tend to write reviews.  Their reviews could be of restaurants but they can also be of other businesses types.   Interesting findings.   The underlying question is "why".  The responses are informative.

(I believe the survey questionnaire went out to tons of people and these are the 600 who responded and acknowledged being active reviewers.

My first impression upon reading that the number one answer was "to reward excellent service" was that this survey is like asking people, "Do you think you're a good person?" :)

If people really wanted to reward excellent service, they'd participate in our "Professionals and Businesses" forum which is pretty much the ultimate reward for a business - it often shows up on page one of Google (as an example, search: Peggy Newhall), and nothing that anyone could possibly do on the internet could help a business or professional more than writing a review in this forum - adding a five-star review on Yelp doesn't even compare, because this results in a brand new Google hit. Yet, nobody participates. How does this match up with the results of the survey?

Nobody knows about this forum? Maybe, but I'm skeptical to say the least. Search: Ronald Gurney. Without even mentioning that he's a doctor or that he's in McLean in the search arguments, this post still shows up at the top of page two even though it hasn't been touched in three years. Dr. Gurney found out about the post long after I wrote it, and thanked me profusely for writing it. Search: Jessie Mann Porcelains.

Some people write reviews to reward excellent service, yes. But I would not treat this survey as anything even remotely approaching definitive. I understand this post (my post) can be construed as self-serving, but I also believe it to be true: If people really want to reward a business in a way that translates into dollars-and-cents over the course of many years, they will write a review about it in our Professionals and Businesses forum.

Out of all our forums, this one has the most impact - even more than our restaurant forums. Hell, I've urged members to write about their *relatives and friends,* and they still don't do it! My best guess is that people don't fully realize just how powerful this forum is; I cannot believe that someone wouldn't take 15 minutes out of their day to help their brother or someone else they care about and believe in. Search: Hilleary Rockwell pediatrician. You don't even have to type in the city.

My first impression upon reading that the number one answer was "to reward excellent service" was that this survey is like asking people, "Do you think you're a good person?" :)

If people really wanted to reward excellent service, they'd participate in our "Professionals and Businesses" forum which is pretty much the ultimate reward for a business - it often shows up on page one of Google (as an example, search: Peggy Newhall), and nothing that anyone could possibly do on the internet could help a business or professional more than writing a review in this forum - adding a five-star review on Yelp doesn't even compare, because this results in a brand new Google hit. Yet, nobody participates. How does this match up with the results of the survey?

Nobody knows about this forum? Maybe, but I'm skeptical to say the least. Search: Ronald Gurney. Without even mentioning that he's a doctor or that he's in McLean in the search arguments, this post still shows up at the top of page two even though it hasn't been touched in three years. Dr. Gurney found out about the post long after I wrote it, and thanked me profusely for writing it. Search: Jessie Mann Porcelains.

Some people write reviews to reward excellent service, yes. But I would not treat this survey as anything even remotely approaching definitive. I understand this post (my post) can be construed as self-serving, but I also believe it to be true: If people really want to reward a business in a way that translates into dollars-and-cents over the course of many years, they will write a review about it in our Professionals and Businesses forum.

Out of all our forums, this one has the most impact - even more than our restaurant forums.

Some comments:

1.  I have no idea how many of these questionnaires were distributed but I suspect it was a huge volume with a  tiny percentage responding to the above question.   (after all most consumers are not active reviewers.  Its a small percentage)

2.  The respondents did not State that they are experts or specifically interested in the service that was reviewed.  In that regard they are not DR.com respondents.   This discussion forum is primarily made up of people interested in food and dining and out and besides reviews it can generate long long discussions about any topic.   In a sense, of the frequent commentators here this is a self described community of commentators.   On top of that there are, (as in any forum) incredibly more readers than commentators.    What do readers "think"?   Who knows unless you ask them or do a survey.    This place is different than the mass who write reviews; not better or worse, just different.

3.  On its own basis the results are interesting and somewhat enlightening.   Who else has this information or has published it representing "mass" results?

3.  On its own basis the results are interesting and somewhat enlightening.   Who else has this information or has published it representing "mass" results?

Completely agree with everything you say.

Just because I seized upon this moment to prostitute myself doesn't mean that I take issue with what you wrote. :lol: