Reclining Your Airline Seat - What Is Right, and What Is Wrong?

DonRocks

"United Confirms 10-Abreast Seating on Some of its 777s" by Ben Mutzabaugh on usatoday.com

Like Michelle Duggar's vagina, airplanes are becoming clown cars.

In a 777, 10 abreast yields seat widths of 17".  That is the standard seat width on a 737, e.g. on Southwest which everybody seems to love. So relatively speaking it's not really a big deal provided we're talking about domestic trip times (I don't know about Hawaii from the east coast).  Hawaii is a notorious low-fare competitive route, which certainly factors in to these decisions.  I wouldn't want to fly one to China, but they aren't flying them to China anyway.  Watch for the seat pitch; that will be more critical.

So it's not really a big deal provided we're talking about domestic trip times (I don't know about Hawaii from the east coast).  

And as long as you don't need to get up for any reason, or order anything to eat or drink when other passengers are sleeping.

May as well learn now:

"How To Use A Japanese Capsule Hotel" by Bridget Borgobello on gizmag.com

I'll take a capsule hotel for 5-8 hours *anytime* over what the airlines are currently forcing us to do.

And as long as you don't need to get up for any reason, or order anything to eat or drink when other passengers are sleeping.

3-3-3 or 3-4-3, either way you still have one person and one only to climb over to get to the aisle from a middle seat.  It will happen to 33% more people of course.

My mistake - I thought it was 10 in a row without an aisle.

Actually, if I understand correctly, in some cases at least United is going from 2-5-2 to 3-4-3, which if true would be an improvement for that poor sap in the dead middle seat, at least as far getting out is concerned.  I don't know for sure however, though I am pretty sure there are 2-5-2's flying around up there somewhere.

Actually, if I understand correctly, in some cases at least United is going from 2-5-2 to 3-4-3, which if true would be an improvement for that poor sap in the dead middle seat, at least as far getting out is concerned.  I don't know for sure however, though I am pretty sure there are 2-5-2's flying around up there somewhere.

I've flown 2-5-2's. Here's a little conversation about the topic on tripadvisor.com

3-4-3 would definitely be worse than 2-5-2, and not just because of the reduced width involved. It means going from one person per row who is two seats from exit to two.

I recently got stuck in such a configuration as the exit seat on the window aisle. The mother and daughter seated next to me made no less than 8 bathroom trips during the flight, waking me up 4 times during a 14 hour flight to China.

Not surprised that United is making this move. They seem to have zero interest in the comfort of their passengers and their slim profile seat are the worst I have experienced and used on their long haul flights to China as of 2015. I used to fly United a lot because I had a big FF mileage account with them (they have since moved to cap mileage to dollars spent rather than miles flown), but my recent somewhat more pleasant experiences on other airlines (especially Delta, surprisingly) suggest that United should be avoided at all costs for longer haul flights.

Aug 30, 2013 - "The Pampered World of Congressional Air Travel" by Joshua Green on bloomberg.com

Congress was really pathetic in how they tried to minimize public perception of the real purpose of that parking lot at DCA.  I don't know how it is done nowadays, but IIRC the signs used to say it was for Supreme Court Justices, ambassadors, and (oh, just an afterthought) members of Congress.  I wonder how many of the cars parked there were owned by SCOTUS types and ambassadors.  Hah!

Congress was really pathetic in how they tried to minimize public perception of the real purpose of that parking lot at DCA.  I don't know how it is done nowadays, but IIRC the signs used to say it was for Supreme Court Justices, ambassadors, and (oh, just an afterthought) members of Congress.  I wonder how many of the cars parked there were owned by SCOTUS types and ambassadors.  Hah!

I think we need more Mr. Smith's in Washington, and I'm not saying that to be snotty; I'm dead serious.

If I were in Congress, I would fly coach for as long as I was able.

"Flying High: Members of Congress Get Free Reserved Parking as well as First-Class Flights" by Sean Lengell on washingtonexaminer.com