DonRocks

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

In one of the very first scenes of "To Catch a Thief," a woman yells out her window that her jewels have been stolen, and you're immediately transported to Nice - this great webpage on the.hitchcock.zone has all the locations used in filming the movie.

In that first scene, the use of the black cat going up-and-down, to-and-fro on the rooftop in the night is Alfred Hitchcock's tongue-in-cheek way of representing the cat burglar, John Robie (Cary Grant), who owns a black cat.

When Robie visits his old acquaintance's restaurant, the restaurateur's daughter, Danielle (Brigitte Auber) motorboats him away to safety, all the while mocking him with allusions to cats ("rubbing his fur the wrong way," etc.).

Grace Kelly can look rather fetching: Screenshot 2016-06-11 at 15.42.57.png <--- The filly from Philly, berried in Grant's tomb.

And if you're wondering what that gorgeous car is they're driving, it's a 1955 Sunbeam Alpine Series III Classic Drive.

At the end of this telephone call, Bertani (Charles Vanel) and Robie both say what sounds like "Bonjour," which I've never heard in my life as a way to say goodbye - I think this is a mistake, and a big one considering Vanel is French and would know better: Screenshot 2016-06-11 at 17.11.19.png

Now, why would M. Foussard (Jean Martinelli) want to kill Robie, hmm? I think I've got this one figured out: A little *too* obvious at this point? Then again, there are only 17 minutes left in the movie.

There's a *knee* that went up behind Robie at the climax! See that gray lump on the left? Screenshot 2016-06-11 at 18.09.49.png Surprisingly, this is not on the IMDB "Goofs" list.

Very, very basic question (and I don't rule out the possibility that I'm missing something): If Robie wanted to prove his innocence, why didn't he simply confide in the chief of police, and agree to secretly leave the area for a week or two? If a crime happened during that time, he was, by definition, innocent (assuming he didn't have an accomplice).

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

There's a *knee* that went up behind Robie at the climax! See that gray lump on the left? Screenshot 2016-06-11 at 18.09.49.png Surprisingly, this is not on the IMDB "Goofs" list.

Very, very basic question (and I don't rule out the possibility that I'm missing something): If Robie wanted to prove his innocence, why didn't he simply confide in the chief of police, and agree to secretly leave the area for a week or two? If a crime happened during that time, he was, by definition, innocent (assuming he didn't have an accomplice).

Good catch with the knee. I didn't notice that, but it clearly is there.

Good question about why Robie didn't simply leave. Maybe he was getting bored with his straight-laced life and wanted to feel the thrill of his old ways once again. 

And if you're wondering what that gorgeous car is they're driving, it's a 1955 Sunbeam Alpine Series III Classic Drive.

That IS a gorgeous car. And it matches Grace Kelly's eyes.

The Edith Head costumes were lovely, and Kelly wore them well.

Cary Grant was charming, as usual. I have now watched three of his films in a row. He plays the good/bad guy role extremely well, and his characters are always romantically pursued by the leading ladies.

I haven't seen an actor that tan since the heyday of George Hamilton.

22 minutes ago, DIShGo said:

That IS a gorgeous car. And it matches Grace Kelly's eyes.

I want one.

Until the moment comes when I need to repair it. Think about the last time you've seen a Yugo (aka "Yu Don't Go") on the road - not only did the company go out of business; the *country it was made in no longer exists*. In all seriousness, what the hell do you do if you need a part?

Also, as sexy as it looks, that Sunbeam goes 0-60 in something like 20 seconds.

"Mad Man in a Death Machine" on comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com

Still, surprisingly, it (from what I've read) can be had in excellent condition for around $30,000, which seems ridiculously inexpensive, and makes me ask myself, "I bought a *what*?! I'm driving a *what*?!"

22 minutes ago, DIShGo said:

I haven't seen an actor that tan since the heyday of George Hamilton.

Addison's Disease?

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I want one.

Until the moment comes when I need to repair it. Think about the last time you've seen a Yugo (aka "Yu Don't Go") on the road - not only did the company go out of business; the *country it was made in no longer exists*. In all seriousness, what the hell do you do if you need a part?

Also, as sexy as it looks, that Sunbeam goes 0-60 in something like 20 seconds.

"Mad Man in a Death Machine" on comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com

Still, surprisingly, it (from what I've read) can be had in excellent condition for around $30,000, which seems ridiculously inexpensive, and makes me ask myself, "I bought a *what*?! I'm driving a *what*?!"

I thought I remembered that car from an episode of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee." Ricky Gervais was terrified the entire time he was riding in it!

I think a silk chiffon scarf and chic leather driving gloves would be a prerequisite for driving one.

2 hours ago, DIShGo said:

I thought I remembered that car from an episode of "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee." Ricky Gervais was terrified the entire time he was riding in it!

I think a silk chiffon scarf and chic leather driving gloves would be a prerequisite for driving one.

The "C i C g C" episode featured a 1967 Austin-Healey 3000 Mark III - different animal, similar species - I figured it was the same general principle. :)

I actually noticed Kelly's white mesh gloves when she was driving - not leather, but still oh-so-chic. Damn she was dressed well in that film.

Never having seen "Rear Window," "High Noon," or "Dial 'M' for Murder," I'm pretty sure this is the first movie I've ever seen Kelly in start-to-finish, and gosh was she beautiful.

Regarding Kelly's death, does anyone actually believe the "minor stroke" component of the coroner's report? Or is that unquestioningly accepted as "the official government story" out of respect for her and her family's privacy? It seems a bit "coincidental" that she'd have a stroke immediately before negotiating a 150-degree turn in the road - meh, probably best left as is.

"Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" (*)

Did you know that Cary Grant never said "Judy, Judy, Judy?" (wait for the second question).

(*) Senior Sociology Project: Call 50 CVS drugstores, and attempt this prank phone call, recording the results. The paper would be both historic and hilarious.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I don't think so. According to this, his aversion to theatrical makeup and his admiration for Douglas Fairbanks led to his year-round, "healthy" glow.

Never having seen "Rear Window," "High Noon," or "Dial 'M' for Murder," I'm pretty sure this is the first movie I've ever seen Kelly in start-to-finish, and gosh was she beautiful.

She was. I love these photos of two iconic beauties backstage at the 1956 Academy Awards. 

Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly backstage at the Oscars. - Imgur.jpg

My dear old dog Cassie, who was my soul mate, had Addison's disease. She came within a hair's breadth of dying of it, before being saved by the heroic people at Friendship Animal Hospital. A special shout-out to Dr. Kimberley Schultz.

As to Cary Grant and Grace Kelly: He was beautiful to look at and one of Hollywood's great actors. She was beautiful to look at.