Sid Wyche (1922-1983), Talented Jazz and Blues Composer and Musician - Largely Forgotten but Due for a Renaissance

The Hersch

23 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I had to really hunt for the origins of this number - I believe it was first released in 1955 as a B-side single by Big Maybelle, with "Don't Leave Poor Me" the featured song on the record, and it was written by Leroy Kirkland and Sid Wyche (here's a lovely tribute by Sid Wyche's daughter - I don't know how long longlivethemusic.blogspot.com will be around, so I feel like I owe it to the Wyche family to safeguard this for them - I know, I know, there's nothing more dangerous than a lunatic with a sense of purpose):

Screenshot 2016-08-17 at 09.24.07.png

Here's Mabel Louise Smith's (aka, "Big Maybelle's") 1955 version, and what a beautiful contralto voice she has ....

I love Big Maybelle. I used to have a two-LP compilation of her work that was fantastic. I haven't heard it in probably 20 years (or more), but I recognize this track from it. Thanks for posting it. I must confess I don't remember ever hearing of Sid Wyche, so thanks for your research. Turns out he co-wrote the widely recorded standard "Well all right, okay, you win" and also the mischievous (to put it mildly)  "(I Love to Play Your Piano) Baby Let Me Bang Your Box", first released by The Toppers in 1954:

10 hours ago, The Hersch said:

I must confess I don't remember ever hearing of Sid Wyche, so thanks for your research. Turns out he co-wrote the widely recorded standard "Well all right, okay, you win" and also the mischievous (to put it mildly)  "(I Love to Play Your Piano) Baby Let Me Bang Your Box", first released by The Toppers in 1954 ....

Sid Wyche, who doesn't even have his own Wikipedia entry, merits his own thread - in fact, I wish more members like you posted about people like Mr. Wyche, Big Maybelle, etc. - they represent *such* an important part of our nation's history. "Sweet Lover," which Wyche co-wrote, was originally sung by none other than Aretha Franklin.

"A Big Hunk O' Love," another song Wyche co-wrote, was originally sung by Elvis Presley:

Sid Wyche has some street cred, that's for sure. Here's a list of songs written by Wyche, along with a small photograph of him. This thread will most likely show up on page one of Google - I hope his daughter eventually finds it and chimes in - her recollections should be captured for posterity. 

Screenshot 2016-08-18 at 09.03.38.png