Ferris Bueller

Paid Parking Slowly Killing Reston Town Center?

21 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Former Reston Town Center Business Reopens by Dan Taylor, Patch

The Bike Lane has opened up its new location after leaving RTC over paid parking.

That's good to hear. Amazing that near the Reston US Post Office you now have smaller business area with Beloved Yoga, Chef on Wheels and now a loft building goin up next to Akamai!

It use to just be low level offices. 

---

Mezeh Mediterranean Grill (Ferris Bueller)

Amazing, given that Anne Arundel county will not let me put a boathouse on my existing dock.  Anne Arundel is anti-development, the opposite of Tysons and Reston.

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

County Board Approves Nearly 10 Million Square Feet of Development in Reston by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

Ferris, I haven't gone back and read through all of this, but in general, are you pro- or contra-Reston devlopment? I figure since this is essentially "your" thread, that might give readers some background information. Or, maybe, your viewpoint is more nuanced than a simple pro or contra?

(Speaking for me, I'm very much for keeping rampant development in check, and have been for quite awhile now - I try and think long-long term, and I just see no good coming from it; or, at least, I see the bad vastly outweighing the good.)

Again Reston's current info-structure can not support the current level of residents. 

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Ferris, I haven't gone back and read through all of this, but in general, are you pro- or contra-Reston devlopment? I figure since this is essentially "your" thread, that might give readers some background information. Or, maybe, your viewpoint is more nuanced than a simple pro or contra?

(Speaking for me, I'm very much for keeping rampant development in check, and have been for quite awhile now - I try and think long-long term, and I just see no good coming from it; or, at least, I see the bad vastly outweighing the good.)

So herein lies the challenge - development is progress, like it or not it is coming.  Extensive building, both residential and commercial, is being approved without infrastructure considerations.  Yes, the METRO is being expanded to points West, but the surrounding roads, schools, sidewalks, intersections, parking are not being proactively upgraded to prepare for what is coming.  There is a certain calm to the area that arises from only having ~60,000 residents and streets that were navigable.  It can now take 45 minutes for me to go 4.5 miles from one side of the DTR to the other at fringe times of rush hour.  As the commuters (office space) and residents increase to fill the vertical buildings being the bulk of the expansion (there is little land remaining for single family homes, some townhomes, but mostly apartments and condos), there are only so many ways in/out of the area.  Roads are already clogged.  The stance of the County appears to take the tax revenue from the property, business and sales (tax) and project the burden on those who live here to deal with it.  This may be a long-winded way of answering your question(s), but I am neither pro/contra to Reston development as long all the components needed to lessen or accommodate the increased density appropriate.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

This may be a long-winded way of answering your question(s), but I am neither pro/contra to Reston development as long all the components needed to lessen or accommodate the increased density appropriate.  

I think that is the rub, the components to accommodate increased density are not being considered any real capacity at a county level. As Reston is not a 'city' in the established sense as Vienna, we're at the discretion of what the county wants to address. RA, the Reston Association, additionally has pretty much abdicated applying any reasonable measures to deal with the increased density issues. 

1 hour ago, lion said:

I think that is the rub, the components to accommodate increased density are not being considered any real capacity at a county level. As Reston is not a 'city' in the established sense as Vienna, we're at the discretion of what the county wants to address. RA, the Reston Association, additionally has pretty much abdicated applying any reasonable measures to deal with the increased density issues. 

Over the long haul, Fairfax and Arlington Counties make an enormous amount of tax revenues due to the enormous volumes (relative to size and populations) of their commercial real estate.  Any and every time there is a commercial real estate recession of some sort, the county tax revenues PLUMMET.  Both counties spend a lot on various services way beyond the basics.  They are "wealthy" counties...and proportionately its "higher" due to the huge volumes of commercial RE.  That has been going on for Many decades now.

I would assume all those in the county offices who are at higher positions and think about those types of things are so used to that "goldmine" they naturally skew toward approving ever more development.   That is my gut and also a function of having been a bit involved in this going back almost 2 decades while working as part of a consulting team that was working on the extension of the Orange Silver Line to Reston/ the Airport/ and into Loudoun. 

The above has absolutely nothing to do with developer "payoffs" or supporting County Politicians.  I actually don't know anything about that.  But between the County Planning staff and the County Financial Staff, decades of depending on large amounts of tax revenues from commercial real estate have to skew their thinking toward always approving development, at least IMHO

4 hours ago, lion said:

Reston NOW OP-Ed on Wheel Lock Properties and their possible plan for Hidden Creek Golf Course. 

Weird thing is they are making these moves in plain sight.  It was publicized when they first purchased HC, then speculation about development soon followed.  They have to re-zone and that is no small task.  As valuable as the land is (regardless of how little the new owners paid), it increases exponentially if they somehow get it designated for homes/townhomes/condos etc, but it appears that more than an uphill battle. 

L’OCCITANE en Provence in Reston Town Center is Temporarily Closed by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

Through a sleek new design, with a hint of vintage detailing, a focus on warm elegant materials, and an emphasis on light, the new in-store experience will convey a renewed sense of modernity & conviviality for the brand. Stepping inside the new store guests will be greeted with an ‘Ice-breaker’ sink unit and this is where they will begin their L’OCCITANE discovery journey…  Other parts of the boutique will feature an area dedicated to professional skincare consultations, an inviting Provencal lounge, and an enhanced cashier area featuring an impactful Gift Atelier where customers can explore our expertise in the Art of Gifting. The new store is due to open Fall 2018 and we are excited to bring the Sunshine & hospitality of Provence to Reston Town Center.

Boston Properties May Put Athletic Field On Top Of RTC Garage by Dan Taylor, Patch

Fairfax County says that as part of the Reston Gateway development, BXP may put an athletic field on the Purple Garage.

I think this gives all new meaning to out of bounds....

More info in this article Athletic Field Planned as Part of Boston Properties’ Reston Gateway Project by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

Driving by RTC on Reston Parkway can see the new dog park and something that looks like a campfire circle in front of the new condo building. Strange days!

---

Edibles Incredible (Ferris Bueller)

Planning Commission Approves RTC West Expansion by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

The Fairfax County Planning Commission unanimously approved the project, which adds up to 576 multifamily units, 700,000 square feet of office space and 1.4 million square feet of new development to the existing office park, on Thursday night.

I just got coffee from the new Starbucks next door to the expansion this morning. Again wow that's a ton of traffic going to be added the location. 

18 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

New restaurant opening at RTC West....

BGR The Burger Joint to Open in RTC West Next Week by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow.com

BGR and the Counter seem like the same place!

As a side, stopped by the Bike Lane's new home and enjoyed some of their beer and desserts. 

But for The Counter, you need to contend with actual RTC garages, etc., whereas RTC West is not really part of RTC, although parking over there isn't great either.

We only ate at the Counter once, though have been meaning to go since they got the Impossible Burger. Tried the Beyond burger at home and was pleasantly surprised. 

@ RTC West there is a garage that has "free" parking, but you have to walk either thru the office lobby or around the exterior to get to the retail.  On weekends, they sometimes have Valet in the surface lot across from SB and Cooper's Hawk.

BTW - Glory Days has the Impossible Burger as well, the closest location is at North Point Village Plaza and the parking is free and fairly plentiful.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:56 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

@ RTC West there is a garage that has "free" parking, but you have to walk either thru the office lobby or around the exterior to get to the retail.  On weekends, they sometimes have Valet in the surface lot across from SB and Cooper's Hawk.

BTW - Glory Days has the Impossible Burger as well, the closest location is at North Point Village Plaza and the parking is free and fairly plentiful.

Thanks for letting me know about Glory Days. Want to try the impossible burger and that's another location.