Kanji-Kana - Chef Fon Kongsukh's and Co-Owner Sumiko Abe's Pretty, Third-Floor, Japanese, Bento-Box Restaurant on 10th Street and Vermont Avenue Downtown

Kanji-Kana is a very sweet and welcoming place on the 3rd floor of 1018 Vermont Ave. NW.  I went today for the first time because I had to be downtown all day for boring seminar, ugh. This review by Tim Carman gives a good explanation of what is wonderful and what is acceptable about it. I will not say that the ramen was particularly great, but the experience was in fact great: a quiet, sweet, and welcoming place with a warm bowl of noodles. Their website is a weird little thing powered by GrubHub for some reason. All I'm saying is that on a day when you are downtown and want a quick respite with some very decent food and a lovely vibe, check it out.

• Like 1

I have eaten here a few times -- it's right across the street from my favorite dive, Stan's -- and I found it to be competent if unremarkable. The portions are on the medium side and the heat is muted. But if I'm hungry for something other than Stan's wings in that area, Kanji-Kana can hit the spot.