Bourbon Tasting - 1/11/07

jpschust

The tentative date is 1/11/07 @ 8:00 PM.

My goal is ultimately to have everyone able to taste whatever they want until the bottles are gone. Good ice will be on hand as well for those like me who prefer theirs on ice.

I'm working on revising the bottle list and we should have a new list come the end of the week or by Monday, but it will be a mix of top and mid shelf bourbon including some older rarer bourbons.

Please note, there will be absolutely no food at this event unless I put out some pretzels and almonds, so come on a full stomach.

Also, this is not intended to be a strict tasting, thus you will be able to just pour yourself a glass and chat with friends. That said, you will still need to RSVP them as I am limited on space.

If I'm left out of bourbon and whisky at the end of this, then my job is done.

Final notes:

1. I have limited parking in my area as it is Adams Morgan. Please do not drive to this event as there will be alcohol.

2. Absolutely no one under 21.

3. Don't come intending to drink things other than whisky. The rest of my bar will probably not even be out.

4. If you have a special tasting glass that you love, feel free to bring it. I've got limited numbers of highballs, but I've got wine glasses (my favorite to taste from) and shot glasses for much smaller tastings.

5. Please drink responsibly as I am opening my home to you for this event. I have neighbors and would like to keep them on my good side.

6. Smokers- you will be able to smoke cigars and cigarettes but only on the back patio and nowhere else. Feel free to be Tony Bordain, but just do out outside of my living space.

7. Those with allergies- there is a cat and a dog in my living space. Take your claritan now. :P

Any questions? e-mail me offline at jpschust@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Jonny

Please note that registration for this event will close at noon on Tuesday. If you have not heard from me directly by COB Tuesday please e-mail me for directions and location information. This is very important as I am going to adjust my bottle list for the final count.

please PM me here if you haven't heard about the address for tonight's bourbon tasting (it is in my private home and details are on the previous couple of pages in this thread). I've got a little extra room for folks as a few people have last minute committments they can't get out of. We are looking at getting going around 8 PM.

That said- if you want to come out even for a drink before heading out with the kids in Adams Morgan drop me a PM here and I'll check in through the day.

Cheers,

Jonathon

please PM me here if you haven't heard about the address for tonight's bourbon tasting (it is in my private home and details are on the previous couple of pages in this thread). I've got a little extra room for folks as a few people have last minute committments they can't get out of. We are looking at getting going around 8 PM.

That said- if you want to come out even for a drink before heading out with the kids in Adams Morgan drop me a PM here and I'll check in through the day.

Cheers,

Jonathon

For those who are curious, those who have responded and confirmed that they are going include:

Possibly Cucas87

Ol'Iron...

Babkas

Barbara (sn?)

Craig (sn?)

NCPinDC

3-4 locals who aren't on the board

I can take a couple of more.

For those who are curious, those who have responded and confirmed that they are going include:

Possibly Cucas87

Ol'Iron...

Babkas

Barbara (sn?)

Craig (sn?)

NCPinDC

3-4 locals who aren't on the board

I can take a couple of more.

An amazing array of really fine stuff was on offer tonight. Too bad my tolerance for good liquor is rather low. :lol: Seriously, the next time this boy opens his home (which is wonderfully within walking distance for us! :unsure: ) and his bar, you people really need to make yourselves available. (He also has the most entertaining dog and cat in existence. What a HOOT!)

Thanks, Johnny, for a really fine evening.

An amazing array of really fine stuff was on offer tonight. Too bad my tolerance for good liquor is rather low. :lol: Seriously, the next time this boy opens his home (which is wonderfully within walking distance for us! :unsure: ) and his bar, you people really need to make yourselves available. (He also has the most entertaining dog and cat in existence. What a HOOT!)

Thanks for the kind words and to all those who showed up. It was a nice time. I'm going to do a similar event in another 6 months or so when we can be outside on my patio and be able to smoke cigars at the same time. I only wish that this hadn't gotten folded in with the "on a whim" stuff as it would have had a bit more exposure, but sobeit.

Do we get a review of what was tasted?

Do we get a review of what was tasted?

I'll give the final bottle list for those that are interested.

Jim Beam White Label

Maker's Mark

Knob Creek

Woodford Reserve

Sazerac Rye

Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B

Pappy 20 Year

Redhook Rye - brought by Ol'Ironstomach

Blanton's

Booker's (for the love of god people, drink this so we can get it off my shelf. don't make me start serving shots of this to you all)

Black Maple Hill 16

Hirsch 16

Elmer T. Lee

I know there were 2 more bottles but they escape me at the moment.

I'll give the final bottle list for those that are interested.

Jim Beam White Label

Maker's Mark

Knob Creek

Woodford Reserve

Sazerac Rye

Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B

Pappy 20 Year

Redhook Rye - brought by Ol'Ironstomach

Blanton's

Booker's (for the love of god people, drink this so we can get it off my shelf. don't make me start serving shots of this to you all)

Black Maple Hill 16

Hirsch 16

Elmer T. Lee

I know there were 2 more bottles but they escape me at the moment.

Tasting notes? :lol: Come on you guys that attended, what did you like/not like?

Tasting notes? :lol: Come on you guys that attended, what did you like/not like?

Also two Kentucky-only bottlings:

Four Roses Single Barrel

Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10

Gubeen had just come in from NYC so we had to dash early, and I was tasting selectively but not keeping notes, so these will be impressions, not useful flavor descriptions.

• The Pappy 20 was a classic Stitzel-Weller profile, plus a lot of development. Thanks to jparrott, I can't nose S-W-made whiskey anymore without thinking about cherries. Long caramel finish, but also a lot of wood.
  • The Lot B was a current Frankfort-labeled version and I didn't get cherries at all, which I'd guess reflects Buffalo Trace manufacture. Not a bad drop, but much less focused and not nearly as fruity as the prior Lawrenceburg-labeled version (yeah, I'm on a Stitzel-Weller binge this month).
  • The Hirsch 16 (gold foil) next to the Black Maple Hill 16 was quite interesting. The BMH is a flat-out great after-dinner sipper - I get "low-rye recipe" from the BMH, which makes it moderately spicy yet very smooth. The Hirsch was fascinating and insane - just a crazy hodgepodge of flavors, which I'm not sure I was in the mood for last night. Definitely not a laid-back whiskey.
  • I hadn't opened a VRO Heaven Hill before, so this one was a first. It needs a minute or two to open up, or else you'll get a lot of acetone up front, and a fairly hot entry. But after that, I get peppermint candy and tons of cinnamon, with very little wood. It's fascinating, and worth picking up (cheaply - $10!) if you pass through Kentucky...just make sure it says "Very Rare Old" on the main label.

Many thanks to our host, Jonathon, for his hospitality and for putting together this event!