Home-Brewing Jun Kombucha

Katya4me

My little brother has been brewing regular kombucha for a while but it didn't sound particularly appealing to me, both flavor or process.  Then he mentioned the jun variant and after researching it, sounded much more appealing.  For those who are unfamiliar, the kombucha that you typically find has a based of black tea and white sugar whereas jun kombucha is brewed with green tea and honey.  Jun kombucha also prefers a slightly lower temperature for fermenting, and takes only a week for the first fermentation.   

I started brewing jun kombucha back in April when my he gifted me with a SCOBY.  Once I had that, I still needed a jar and then bottles for holding the finished product.  I bought a 1 gallon ceramic jar w/ a spigot  for convenience.  Fill the jar with the brewed sweetened tea, add the extra water, top with the SCOBY and cover with a paper towel for a week.  The instructions said to test the ph level, but after the first couple of batches, I stopped doing it as I was happy with the taste and the process. 

IMG_20180328_200408.md.jpg

After a week, I take out the SCOBY along with a cup or so of the kombucha and set aside for the next batch.  I drain into 3 big bottles with different flavoring agents added and leave them on the counter for another 3 days, after which I strain them into 6 small bottles and put them in the fridge, at which point, the fermentation process stops. 

I am a huge fan of variety and trying unique flavors that you can't buy at a grocery store, so I've been having a lot of fun trying different combinations.  As of this weekend, I've tried 31 different combinations now and figured I should document for posterity and if anyone is curious or has recommendations on other combinations to try.

Combination Thoughts
Lychee & Vanilla Delicious, sweeter and mellower
Chai Spices & Agave Very smooth, nice flavors
Mint & Lime juice w/ Agave Great w/ Coconut Rum
Rose Petal & Agave Delicious, great floral flavor
Hibiscus Quite tangy
Hibiscus & Ginger Tangy w/ some bite
Apple & Cinnamon Light flavor but very good
Dried Apple & Ginger Tastes sort of like mulled cider if it was made more with cranberry juice
Blueberry & Basil Very good flavor
Canned peaches First carbonation incident, sweet flavor, not repeated
Strawberry & Basil Quite tart, not happy, carbonates well
Raspberry Quite tart, not happy
Pineapple Very tasty
Cherry Good but a bit tangier than I like
Cherry & Almond Bleh....
Dried Pear Not bad, but too bland on its own
Dried Apple Not bad, but too bland on its own
Freeze-dried blueberries Bleh, blue vinegar
Turmeric, peppercorn and candied ginger Try fresh turmeric next time and cayenne
Blueberry Peach Carbonates well, very tasty
Blueberry Tarragon  
Pear ginger Very tasty
Pineapple puree w/ coconut water Good but mild, no carbonation
Dried orange with cacao nibs Not quite the flavor I was hoping for.
Candied ginger Good mixed with OJ.
Cherry plums Tasty
Dried mandarin orange Tasty
Mint No carbonation, needs other flavors
Mangosteen vanilla Good but I like lychee better
Cactus pear  
Chai Spices & Agave w/ freeze-dried pears  

If anyone else is brewing jun kombucha, I'd love to know and share ideas.

• Like 2

At Union Market, not too long ago, there was a stall that makes their own Kombucha. The next day, a friend with whom I had a glass went to a yoga party, where someone else had brought some homemade Kombucha also (two different batches for her in two days). Anyway: tummy trouble, cramps, etc. - is this common, and does it happen to people? Nothing happened to me at Union Market, and I probably had half of the Kombucha drink (we snuck our glasses into Bidwell and enjoyed them there).

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

At Union Market, not too long ago, there was a stall that make their own Kombucha. The next day, a friend with whom I had a glass went to a yoga party, where someone else had brought some homemade Kombucha also (two different batches for her in two days). Anyway: tummy trouble, cramps, etc. - is this common, and does it happen to people? Nothing happened to me at Union Market, and I probably had half of the Kombucha drink (we snuck our glasses into Bidwell and enjoyed them there).

Craft Kombucha does have this advisory on their website and at their stall at Union Market:

HOW MUCH SHOULD I DRINK?

When drinking kombucha for the first time, it's best to start by drinking one small glass per day or sip on a large glass over several hours. Try this for a few days to allow your body to adjust. Kombucha is a raw probiotic drink, so if you have a sensitive stomach, take it with food to start. Once your body is used to drinking kombucha, you can drink it as often as you like, whenever you like, depending on the desired effects and your lifestyle.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, thistle said:

I’ve made jun, the only batch of kombucha I made that went bad was made w/rooibos tea.

Interesting.  I thought it may have been because rooibos is not made from tea leaves but I know you can make coffee kombucha, once you have converted the SCOBY.

I took a bit of a break over the summer, but just started a new batch of kombucha.  Peach ginger in 2 bottles and kiwi aloe with bee pollen in the 3rd bottle.  

As a side note, if you're in the DC area and would like a jun kombucha SCOBY, let me know as I have several right now but will be throwing them away in about a week.

Since I picked back up, I've made about 10 batches.  So far, the apple with mulling spices is probably my favorite but I do find myself frequently reaching for ginger.  I'm stocking up a bit for Christmas (my family loves kombucha) and so I've got 12 bottles in the fridge now and I picked up some blood oranges for this week's batch.

Peach ginger  
Kiwi aloe w/ bee pollen  
Turmeric and candied ginger Good combo and carbonated well.
Canned pineapple and mint OMG, intense carbonation after 3 days, not too sweet
Apple Spice Apple with mulling spices, very nice flavor
Pear Very ripe pear slices, cloudy and good
Ginger Juice  
Acai Juice Nice flavor, mild carbonation
Blueberry apple w/ tarragon & mint  
Freeze-dried pear w/ rosemary Herbal flavor is stronger than the fruit but I like it.