Disrupting Craft: Renwick Invitational 2018

November 9, 2018 - May 5, 2019

"Disrupting Craft presents the work of Tanya Aguiñiga, Sharif Bey, Dustin Farnsworth, and Stephanie Syjuco, four artists who challenge the conventional definitions of craft by imbuing it with a renewed sense of emotional purpose, inclusiveness, and activism.

The four artists work in an expansive variety of media including ceramics, wood, and fibers. They all share a dedication to social justice and to interrogating cultural identities and established historical narratives. By exploiting the conceptual toolkits of craft, they develop responses to the contemporary political landscape while also analyzing and challenging their own cultural histories."

Farnsworth_XLIII.jpg

Dustin Farnsworth, "XLIII," 2016, poplar, reclaimed wood, chair, pencil, and various polychrome.

This is beautiful - I get the impression of someone sitting back on their rocker, turning a spinning wheel - this simple work combines Americana, sewing, crafts, sculpture, motion, and life, all without any of this being explicitly stated.

• Like 1

This is an excellent show, I highly recommend.  And only one month left before it closes.  I think the exhibit has been flying a little under the radar, but it's very worthy.

Tanya Aguiñiga primarily works with natural fibers and her work deals a lot with the US Mexcio border.

Sharif Bey creates very sculptural works in ceramic and metal dealing with cultural histories.

Dustin Farnsworth is very of the moment with powerful sculptures dealing with youth and violence.

Stephanie Syjuco work is more craft oriented.  I found her work to be least engaging.

Dustin Farnsworth "The Reconstruction of Saints"

Dustin Farnsworth The Reconstruction of Saints.jpg