Bob Wells

20 hours ago, DonRocks said:

On a marginally related topic, I went to Owensboro, KY two-years ago (famed for barbecue mutton, believe it or not) - two of the most esteemed institutions there (Moonlite and Old Hickory) were places I'd hardly drive down the street for, at least not once the novelty is over.

Thanks for the tip on whether mutton BBQ is driving out of the way for (notwithstanding your completely off-base take on Popeyes 😉).

2 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Thanks for the tip on whether mutton BBQ is driving out of the way for (notwithstanding your completely off-base take on Popeyes 😉).

Don't get me wrong - I'm certain that mutton BBQ can be profound; it's just that these two local-legend places weren't. I don't know if you've been to places like Mount Vernon Inn in Mount Vernon, VA; Old South Mountain Inn in Boonsboro, MD etc., but that's kind of what it was like.

You can sort-of tell from the picture, right? I also had burgoo there, and it was nothing I would go out of my way to order (again, I'm sure it can be wonderful, but it was originally just road-kill stew).

OldHickory.JPGMoonlite.JPGMutton.JPG

[I should move these to an Owensboro, KY thread in Intrepid Traveler.]

18 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Don't get me wrong - I'm certain that mutton BBQ can be profound; it's just that these two local-legend places weren't. I don't know if you've been to places like Mount Vernon Inn in Mount Vernon, VA; Old South Mountain Inn in Boonsboro, MD etc., but that's kind of what it was like.

You can sort-of tell from the picture, right?

OldHickory.JPGMoonlite.JPGMutton.JPG

[I should move these to an Owensboro, KY thread in Intrepid Traveler.]

Well, if the legends of mutton bbq are not good, hard to hold out hope for lesser places. And maybe there's a reason why "mutton" was the subject of a classic Seinfeld episode. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wink_(Seinfeld)

yr6yd.jpg

• Like 1