Clemson Tigers Men's Basketball (1911-), ACC (1953-)

DonRocks

I heard this over the weekend and did a double take.  There are bad losing streaks in sports, and then there are *weird* ones; this is the latter.  UNC is UNC, and Clemson basketball historically is *not* UNC, but they aren't a bad program.  You would figure any middle-of-the-pack ACC team would pull out a road win against UNC or Duke every once in a while.

2 hours ago, TedE said:

I heard this over the weekend and did a double take.  There are bad losing streaks in sports, and then there are *weird* ones; this is the latter.  UNC is UNC, and Clemson basketball historically is *not* UNC, but they aren't a bad program.  You would figure any middle-of-the-pack ACC team would pull out a road win against UNC or Duke every once in a while.

Next Sunday (Jan 19, 2020) will mark the *40th* anniversary of when I was an 18-year-old freshman, and saw, in-person, at Clemson, Clemson knock off #1-ranked UVA with Ralph Sampson, 88-68.

The UNC losing streak began *54-years* before that, in 1926.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, TedE said:

On 1/13/2020 at 5:20 PM, DonRocks said:

Next Sunday (Jan 19, 2020) will mark the *40th* anniversary of when I was an 18-year-old freshman, and saw, in-person, at Clemson, Clemson knock off #1-ranked UVA with Ralph Sampson, 88-68.

The UNC losing streak began *54-years* before that, in 1926.

As with TedE thought that was a weird record of remarkable misery.

Clemson may well have the worst record within the conference and yet their overall record is a winning one.  Still losing 60 games in a row as an away team is stunning.

They might be the cream of the crop in football these days and playing at a level that destroys ACC competitors but they are at the opposite end in basketball.  Completely weird 

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yes the sports Gods are playing havoc with history.  I haven't learned how to link to pages off the phone but I discovered the college basketball resource for Clemson with all time head to head matchups.  Clemson has an overall winning record but it appears they have been on the opposite side for ACC matchups the worst over time being against UNC.

Well they reversed their basketball mojo this week but lost in college football.  I would rank them as Super Duper plus a level currently in ACC football.  They have many college super stars.  

The Clemson fans were on the basketball floor.  Enormous celebration.  Reminded me of MD home victories against Duke.  They must have to love beating Duke

It's all in the mojo.