Penn Quarter Market-Now Open For The Season

Food Drive today from 3 to 7 PM!

Those of you who receive the FRESHFARM Market enewsletter know, but it bears repeating: non-perishable food will happily be accepted to augment the day's gleaning from farmers and producers. Food goes to the kitchen of ThriveDC, the organization that is the official gleaner of the market.

Monetary donations will also be accepted to be used immediately at the market to buy fresh, seasonal foods for ThriveDC to collect.

Hot apple cider should be on hand. José Andres and folk from nearby Jaleo also present to serve small plates :lol: (or tasting cups) of something warm and nourishing as a note of appreciation to donors.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any word on opening day 2012?

Never mind--March 22, 2012!

Yes, that's right. The subtitle of this thread will actually be relevant again very soon!

FYI: Do sign up for newsletters or visit the website some time in the months ahead for updates.

For example, Soupergirl will be bringing her line of vegan, locafare to market to go with your pastrami sandwiches and if The Hersch won't share his home-made pickles, you can pick up some from a professional, inspected kitchen. Bison's back after a year's absence, this time from Gunpowder. Pasture-grazed animals, dead, in the guise of organic meat and newsworthy, organic birds when the time comes to go with the organic botanicals of one of this region's hippest young farming couples, Shawna and Atilla.

Also new to a market street where a charter school will soon replace the old extension of UDC's nursing school: the Matching Dollars Program (for recipients of EBT/SNAP benefits, WIC and SNPFM vouchers) and tokens you can purchase with debit and credit cards.

Let's see:

It was hopping at 3:30 yesterday. It was good to see most of the usual suspects plus a few new faces or old faces from different markets.

Gunpowder Bison was there as was Eversong. Prices on meat seem to be higher this year. Of course, everything is more expensive these days.

Had a nice chat with Emily from Black Rock. This warm weather has everything blooming way too early and anxiety is running high that there still could be a freeze.

There were pictures of asparagus on Facebook but I didn't spy any when I got there.

Missing the first day of the market in exchange for being at school for the March birthday celebrations. (Someone was 6 yesterday.)

Dragging his six year old self to the market next week during spring break. I wonder how much longer I have before he decides that going all over town to farmers markets isn't quite the coolest thing ever...

Missing the first day of the market in exchange for being at school for the March birthday celebrations. (Someone was 6 yesterday.)

Dragging his six year old self to the market next week during spring break. I wonder how much longer I have before he decides that going all over town to farmers markets isn't quite the coolest thing ever...

James, James, Morrison, Morrison... Happy Birthday to the other babe! If it's any consolation, I missed the first market, too. Given how hot it was last year and cold this, there was no asparagus to be had, nor orchids. However, I miss Garner's and hope to drop by one of these days. Rumor has it that Clear Spring Creamery, just back to Dupont with its milk last week, should be returning to Penn Quarter in May.

A little bird told me that one of the market's newbies, Border Springs, will have lamb for Easter this afternoon, 3-7 pm.

The only reason I have a Twitter account is to keep up on news like this. Last-minute information always gets tweeted by FRESHFARM Marketeers, or retweeted when one of the farms or producers shares news.

It's worth signing up for a Twitter account even on your computer if you're not into smartphones.

Looking for asparagus? Not likely to find local stalks for a while due to this lingering cold weather, unfortunately.

However, if someone hasn't tweeted its imminent arrival, be a twerp yourself and shoot a question to:

@FRESHFARMPennQ in the meantime!

Garner had asparagus-- $6 for a bunch, approximately one pound per bunch. These were fat stalks too.

The mushroom people had morels for $20.

I bought the world's tiniest ribeye from Gunpowder, soup for Mr. BLB from Quail Creek and the newly repackaged bison sticks for the boy. Early days, early days. Looking forward to May when chickens reappear!