Halibut Cheeks

MarkS

Did she get them in the Pike Place Market? That's the only place I've ever seen them and (though I tend to ad-lib these things so all recipes are inexact) this is what we did. Zora can probably look this recipe over and fix it if she's on line. The idea was swiped from Pesce, btw, so this isn't just the rambling product of hitting Walla Walla wines all morning.

Buy some mushrooms, fresh corn and enough fish bones and related stuff to make a fish stock.

Make a light-ish fish stock. You probably won't need most of it.

Sautee the mushrooms with a little salt and pepper until just brown and a little crispy, and set aside. Might throw a couple of diced shallots in here if you've a mind to.

Get the corn away from the cob, put it in a pot, generously cover with the fish stock and simmer until corn is just tender.

In the mean time:

Sautee your 'but-cheeks over relatively high heat -- you want a little color on the outside but barely over room temperature within.

Warm the 'shrooms.

Divvy the cheeks amongst however many warm bowls are appropriate, put the mushrooms over top (if you're having guests and want to look totally cool, serve the cheeks at this point) and then ladle hot corn/fish broth into the bowl.

Sounds weird, but it's really good.

At the Stone dinner at Tallula a couple weeks ago, the first dish was BBQ'd Halibut Cheeks with Heirloom Potatoes and Dill. I don't remember enough detail to describe how to re-create, but I imagine you could pry a recipe off Chef if you ask nicely.

Sautee your 'but-cheeks over relatively high heat -- you want a little color on the outside but barely over room temperature within.

A light dusting of flour seasoned with a touch of salt and pepper might help here. THe lighest of dustings and then put your cheeks in a strainer and shake well to get all the flour off you can.

My wife brought home some Hamibut Cheeks from Seattle last night. any recipes you would like to Share.

Thanks

Mark

You might enjoy them grilled. Put them in a marinade of olive oil, lime juice, dried thyme, dried basil and dried oregano for an hour, skewer them, and grill over hardwood for about 2-3 minutes a side.

They were great.. I made a broth with fish stock, sauted mushrooms, corn, garlic and baby squash. Cooked till all was soft then placed Sauteed cheeks on top(dusted as recommended above)

Also a 1st cru chablis carried back from France a few years ago.

Superb

Blacksalt had them in the market today ($7 for two small cheeks). I dusted two with Wondra, seared them in a little olive oil, they would have been better if they were cooked a little less, but they were still quite delicious.