Westmoreland Berry Farm

This morning, Mt. Vernon market had the first peaches of the season at Westmoreland Berry Farm; along with the last strawberries, sweet and sour cherries, blackberries and raspberries. I see in my near future pies, crumbles and cobblers. Oh my!

Spent the weekend down on the Northern Neck of Virginia and stopped in Sunday at the Westmoreland Berry Farm. Best Blackberries ever.

You can pick your own or stop in at the store and buy various sized buckets of freshly picked.

The peaches and blueberries were tasty as well.

They also sell a small selection of veggies (tomatoes, peppers, garlic), flowers & plants, along with your usual selection of farm store goods - jam, honey, pickled relishes, pies and peanuts.

If you are driving along the 301 thru Virginia and have time for a short sidetrip, well worth the effort.

http://westmorelandberryfarm.com/

Here are my thoughts on some recent samplings from Westmoreland Berry Farm:

Apple Butter (apples, sugar, and spices) - An overwhelming aroma of smoke (and I mean like you're walking through a smokehouse) ruins this. I'm not sure where it comes from (cooking process? storage?), but it doesn't work. This is 100% in the nose; if you don't breathe while you eat it, it's perfectly fine.

Strawberry Preserves (strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, pectin) - Great! Put this on a slice of toasted wheat bread, with a little spread of butter, and you're in strawberry heaven. Good enough to eat with a spoon.

Peach Praline Pie (peaches, wheat flour, sugar, soybean oil, palm oil, brown sugar, water, contains 2% or less of each of the following <list of 27 ingredients, covering the entire spectrum from "natural" to "nasty">, egg wash topping) - Don't let the list of ingredients scare you off, because if you could isolate the peaches and the flaky crust, you'd have a very simple product on your hands. The peaches themselves are delicious, and I found myself picking them out and enjoying them solo towards the end of my slice. A very good pie that's heavier than it needs to be.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Westmoreland was flush with berries at the Mount Vernon market on Wednesday. Sour pie cherries are just about gone. The blueberries taste good, but are a bit tart. The blackberries, oh, the blackberries. They burst in your mouth, with many of them being very sweet. Don't miss them.