FreshFarm Markets

FreshFarm Markets no longer operates a farmers market in Georgetown.

In addition to their markets in Dupont Circle and Silver Spring, they operate the following:

H Street Market, Saturdays 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, 600 block of H St. NE

Penn Quarter, Thursdays 3 pm to 7 pm, north end of 8th Street, NW, between D and E Streets.

Foggy Bottom, Wednesdays, 3 pm to 7 pm, I Street, between New Hampshire and 24th St, NW (I'm pretty sure this one starts this week, on 6/29.)

They also run a market in St. Michael's, Md, on the Eastern Shore, on Saturday mornings, I believe.

Hope this helps!

cut and pasted from eG Delmarva forum - feel free to remove if not appropriate but thought folks might be interested....although there is no mention of this on their (Farmfresh) website

Dear One and All:

If you are able to come to the upcoming Sunday market at Dupont Circle (9 am to 1 pm) on October 23, please, please do!

The vegetables are glorious and there are still raspberries and heirloom tomatoes...if in dwindling supplies. I just bought the most fragrant organic gingerroot I have ever seen from the Swiss farmer who also grows several types of Asian greens.

Both Bernie Prince and Ann Yonkers, the co-founders of our FARMFRESH Markets, were at the market today. They are trying to rally public support to maintain the use of the space at Dupont Circle.

Bernie had just been informed that the Colombian Embassy is yet again disgruntled by the presence of the market next door to their building, especially the way that one block of the street is closed to traffic. This was an issue at the inception of the farmers' market and the source of significant legal fees spent defending the use of the space. Now, the embassy is citing national security as a reason for their renewed efforts to cast the farmers out.

Colombia's representatives wish the market to get off the street in two weeks, i.e., by the end of the month.

Please feel free to email either Ms. Prince or Ms. Yonkers directly or call the market if this matter is of interest to you.

http://www.freshfarmmarkets.org/

cut and pasted from eG Delmarva forum - feel free to remove if not appropriate but thought folks might be interested....although there is no mention of this on their (Farmfresh) website

Dear One and All:

If you are able to come to the upcoming Sunday market at Dupont Circle (9 am to 1 pm) on October 23, please, please do!

The vegetables are glorious and there are still raspberries and heirloom tomatoes...if in dwindling supplies. I just bought the most fragrant organic gingerroot I have ever seen from the Swiss farmer who also grows several types of Asian greens.

Both Bernie Prince and Ann Yonkers, the co-founders of our FARMFRESH Markets, were at the market today. They are trying to rally public support to maintain the use of the space at Dupont Circle.

Bernie had just been informed that the Colombian Embassy is yet again disgruntled by the presence of the market next door to their building, especially the way that one block of the street is closed to traffic. This was an issue at the inception of the farmers' market and the source of significant legal fees spent defending the use of the space. Now, the embassy is citing national security as a reason for their renewed efforts to cast the farmers out.

Colombia's representatives wish the market to get off the street in two weeks, i.e., by the end of the month.

Please feel free to email either Ms. Prince or Ms. Yonkers directly or call the market if this matter is of interest to you.

http://www.freshfarmmarkets.org/

I got an email about this a couple weeks ago, followed almost immediately by another email indicating that the issue was resolved and that there is no longer an effort underway to petition or rally.

As you noted, there's no mention of it on the freshfarmmarkets.org site. So I don't know how up to date this is.

Edited by CrescentFresh

FRESHFARM Markets in your neighborhood:

Foggy Bottom: Wednesdays thru Nov. 15, 3pm-7pm

I St. NW, between New Hampshire and 24th

Penn Quarter: Thursdays thru Nov. 16, 3pm-7pm

North end of 8th St. NW, between E and D Sts.

H St, NE: Saturdays thru Oct. 28, 9am-12noon

In the parking lot between 609 and 624 H St. NE

Dupont Circle: Sundays thru Dec. 31, 9am-1pm

1500 block of 20th St. NW between Massachusetts, Q St., and the PNC Bank parking lot

Silver Spring, MD: Saturdays thru Oct. 28, 9am-1pm

Ellsworth Dr. and Fenton St.

St. Michaels, MD: Saturdays thru Oct. 28, 8:30am-12noon

In Muskrat Park on the harbor at Willow and Green

Ann Yonkers is a dynamic and passionate lady who is responsible for keeping these farmers markets alive. She knows every single producer and farmer by heart. You will find her wearing a straw hat, chatting with the chefs and walking around overseeing everything. If you ask any farmer or spot her, she would gladly give you a tour around. Make sure to pick up some of those Mount Harmony soaps named after her. :unsure:

Heads up for those of you who don't get the weekly emails from FRESHFARM Markets:

CHEFS AT MARKET

Saturday, July 8, Muskrat Park in St Michaels: Margaret Vivian of Chesapeake Bay Foundation; demo at 9am

Saturday, July 8, Ellsworth Drive in Silver Spring: Eric Cohen, Lifestyle Cooking; demo at 11 am.

Sunday, July 9, Dupont Circle: Jamie Stachowski (Restaurant Kolumbia); demo at 11 am.

Thursday, July 13, 8th near E St, Penn Quarter: Happy 4th Anniversary; Wes Lanham is baking a scrumptious birthday cake and thanks to Jaleo there will be GIANT PAELLA in the street!. N.B. Market runs 3-7 PM. No time for either cake or paella supplied, but I know this past weekend, cake ran out 1/2 an hour after Dupont Circle opened and cherry pie at 11:35, shortly after chef demo ended. Penn Q's demo is usually at 5, but paella might be served at opening hour. Who knows?

NEW AT SELECT MARKETS

I imagine the following applies to other markets in the area, whether as first appearances or pretty new:

Field tomatoes,

corn,

horseradish,

peppers,

eggplant,

new potatoes,

string beans,

Roma beans (H St. NE),

white peaches (Foggy Bottom),

apricots,

plums.

New to Dupont: Mount Harmony has granola this Sunday.

Heads up, Shoebox :unsure: (I did talk to a more experienced volunteer and she said that "local" is the key word to an obsessive degree and FFM mulls over its commitment to non-farmers from time to time on this issue. However, Ann Yonkers is an experienced cook and knows what you can and cannot find locally...like cocoa beans and vanilla, so...)

And please, only reporting, so don't ask me about Martians, Smurfs or Gender:

GREEN KIDS at MARKET DAYS!

Les Dames d'Escoffier of Washington, DC is partnering with local producer-only farmers' markets on Saturday, July 22 and Sunday, July 23 to have Green Kids Market Days. Renowned area female chefs, culinary leaders and students will present kid-friendly cooking demos and tastings of local seasonal foods at five area farmers' markets. Join us for butter making, market treasure hunts, food arts and crafts (bug building!!) and prize drawings on the hour and more! Saturday, July 22 market locations are: Arlington Farmers' Market (Courthouse Square), H Street FRESHFARM Market (624 H St, NE) and Silver Spring FRESHFARM Market (Ellsworth & Fenton Streets). Sunday, July 23 market locations are: Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market and Takoma Park Farmers' Market (Downtown Takoma, MD). More info at www.lesdamesdc.org.