Pinot Noir Grape Has More Genes than Humans

DanCole42

this is a positve, and in some cases now adays a disaster. examples of finesse and feminity are presented, and the clone shows itself. wines from the RRV, under 14 % abv... and then wines above 14 %abv, NOT showing previous mentions. especially when they blend other CRAP in with the Pinot, since when was pinot a blending grape except for in champagne, or cava, or cremant, or cap classique? especially with Zinfandel... yuck!!! sea smoke does the TEN, where they experiment with ten clones of pinot... cool, yet, for some tastes a little BIG, or should we say modern,,, opinions are allowed to be casted, that is why there are clones and we get to see which ones work with which winemakers and sights. changing the world, whether you like it or not,, hope fully for the better :blink:

this is a positve, and in some cases now adays a disaster. examples of finesse and feminity are presented, and the clone shows itself. wines from the RRV, under 14 % abv... and then wines above 14 %abv, NOT showing previous mentions. especially when they blend other CRAP in with the Pinot, since when was pinot a blending grape except for in champagne, or cava, or cremant, or cap classique? especially with Zinfandel... yuck!!! sea smoke does the TEN, where they experiment with ten clones of pinot... cool, yet, for some tastes a little BIG, or should we say modern,,, opinions are allowed to be casted, that is why there are clones and we get to see which ones work with which winemakers and sights. changing the world, whether you like it or not,, hope fully for the better :blink:
hold up, what?

Re: Sea Smoke Ten, it is big, but I think part of the issue with this wine is that 1) most bottles are consumed too early, and 2) few decant Ten, or let it breathe enough.

hold up, what?

Re: Sea Smoke Ten, it is big, but I think part of the issue with this wine is that 1) most bottles are consumed too early, and 2) few decant Ten, or let it breathe enough.

right. consumation of youth :P ,happens far to often. bc decanting for sure does help. i like to decant alot of american pinots to get the ABV in line, as well as some GCRU burgs. instead, over SEA SMOKE try BONACORSSI..killer!!! :blink:

[Moderator note: Alright gang, put away your red pens and duelling pistols. I'm still trying to decode post #2 in this thread myself, but let's get back to the topic of pinot genomics please.]

The number of genes found is impressive, but compared to ornamental flowers the level of clone complexity is fairly tame: consider that nearly all wine grapes are still merely diploid, whereas reblooming irises are actually 6-ploid. On the other hand, the nose is a much tougher judge than the eye.

[Moderator note: Alright gang, put away your red pens and duelling pistols. I'm still trying to decode post #2 in this thread myself, but let's get back to the topic of pinot genomics please.]

The number of genes found is impressive, but compared to ornamental flowers the level of clone complexity is fairly tame: consider that nearly all wine grapes are still merely diploid, whereas reblooming irises are actually 6-ploid. On the other hand, the nose is a much tougher judge than the eye.

one of the greater examples of clonal selection of this great grape is from Papapietro Dijon Clones RRV 2004 bottling. under 200 cases, and rockin. manages to hold balance at 14 % ABV. :blink: