Plymouth Sloe Gin

Sthitch

This is old news, but new to me. Plymouth is finally planning on importing its Sloe Gin to the US. I have yet to try another Sloe Gin that comes close to Plymouth's. Now if they would only import the Damson and Fruit Cup I buy something a little more obscure on my trips to London.

What about Navy Strength? Can you get that retail in the states? Only place I ever saw it stateside was at Pegu Club in NYC.

What about Navy Strength? Can you get that retail in the states? Only place I ever saw it stateside was at Pegu Club in NYC.
I contacted Absolute in June asking if they were going to import any of the other Plymouth labels, and was told that they had no plans on importing any of them. Now I see that they will be importing one of the labels so hopefully the rest will not be far behind. As far as I know it is not available in the US (I smuggled my current bottle back from London in May).

The last time I was at Pegu (in February) the bartender told me that the Plymouth bottles that are on display at Pegu are not for service, they were part of Audrey Saunder's personal collection. I tried to offer him a very nice premium for an aviation made with the Navy Strength, but he said he didn't even have a key to the cabinet.

It's not that I've actually every MADE anything with sloe gin in it, but you know - compulsive collector and all that. :lol:

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have the same collecting problem. Once you try the Plymouth Sloe Gin you will certainly make every attempt to find a reason to use it. It saddens me that not only are they not importing Fruit Cup and Damson, but have actually killed both products in the UK as well. Stupid conglomerates.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I have the same collecting problem. Once you try the Plymouth Sloe Gin you will certainly make every attempt to find a reason to use it. It saddens me that not only are they not importing Fruit Cup and Damson, but have actually killed both products in the UK as well. Stupid conglomerates.

I remember bitching at some gin company about them killing a line I never had a chance to try...it may have been the Damson.

Oh sure, it's all economics...why'd I major in that for a while?

(It's hard to major in physics or economics when you can't show your work in math but just write down answers....)

Blackthorn #2

1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin

1/2 oz. gin (keep it in the family and use Plymouth)

1/2 oz. dry vermouth (I used Cinzano, Vya is probably too strong).

2 dashes oranges bitters.

Stir with ice and strain into your favorite glass.

Drink all your problems away.

Blackthorn #2

1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin

Well the Blackthorn #2 sure sounds quite a bit better than the Blackthorn which I still contend is as smooth as a kick in the groin.

Well the Blackthorn #2 sure sounds quite a bit better than the Blackthorn which I still contend is as smooth as a kick in the groin.

I cannot disagree.

My Blackthorn #1 is similar to yours, except it calls only for equal parts sloe and sweet vermouth. Not necessarily a kick to the lads, but a sharp backhand to them. Which is still not very good.

You are right about the Vya being too strong. I just made it using Bols Sloe (I don't have Plymouth Sloe yet), Plymouth Gin, and Vya and the vermouth is too evident.

Blackthorn #2

1 oz. Plymouth Sloe Gin

Just got my Plymouth Sloe Gin from Joe over at Ace and I'm going to have to give this one a shot tonight! I don't think I've even ever seen Cinzano dry vermouth...think Noilly Prat would be okay? Because it's that or, well, the Vya...

I've also got a bottle of the Bols Sloe Gin. Before I make anything with the Plymouth I am going to have to try a bit of a taste test between the two. I've never even cracked the Bols, though I'd feel guilty if I were to just get rid of it...

Just got my Plymouth Sloe Gin from Joe over at Ace and I'm going to have to give this one a shot tonight! I don't think I've even ever seen Cinzano dry vermouth...think Noilly Prat would be okay? Because it's that or, well, the Vya...

I've also got a bottle of the Bols Sloe Gin. Before I make anything with the Plymouth I am going to have to try a bit of a taste test between the two. I've never even cracked the Bols, though I'd feel guilty if I were to just get rid of it...

Noilly Prat is fine...So are sloe gin fizzes.