Carafe MicroWinery, Old Town Alexandria

Joe Riley

Yes, they were at the Metro Food/Cooking expo last weekend. What I tasted I was not impressed by.. they pretty much said that you go there and pick what grapes you want to use, that they've had shipped in from somewhere, and then they make the wine, and you pick up the bottle a few weeks later. A novel concept but the wine and the personalities behind it lacked any spunk...

Yes, they were at the Metro Food/Cooking expo last weekend. What I tasted I was not impressed by.. they pretty much said that you go there and pick what grapes you want to use, that they've had shipped in from somewhere, and then they make the wine, and you pick up the bottle a few weeks later. A novel concept but the wine and the personalities lacked any spunk...
Hmmm. DIY plonk as opposed to buy your own...

I just saw this place yesterday and stopped in to check it out. Apparently it's a francise and as stated above, they get their grape juice sent to them in an air tight container. You pick/blend it and 6 weeks later it's ready for you. I think the draw is that you can put any label on it-novel for wedding, gifts etc.

For our esteemed wine experts-is there any virtue to this concept??