Clear Spring Creamery - Now At Dupont Market

For everyone who desperately misses Adam Cook's fresh milk, this good news arrived via the Fresh Farm e-mail newsletter:

Farmer News:

On April 6, we'll welcome a new farmer to our Dupont market. Clare and Mark Seibert of Clear Springs Creamery will bring their fresh MILK to market. This Maryland farm has 35 Jersey cows happily munching on pasture. The farm is Grade A certified for milk production and is in the process of transitioning to organic milk certification by 2009. In addition to fresh milk, they will bring a farmstead made camebert cheese, yougurt and eggs from free-range hens. One more reason to love our Dupont market!

clearspringcreamery.com

14322 St. Paul's Road

Clear Spring, MD 21722

(301)730-6539

I had a chance to chat with Clare Seibert and her husband Mark before the bell rang this morning, their first day at the Dupont Market, and also their first time selling at any farmers' market.

They've just gotten their creamery licensed and for the time being are selling only pasteurized creamline whole milk and chocolate milk, as well as extra large and jumbo eggs. In the next few weeks, Clare told me, they will be bringing some of their farmstead cheese to market. Clare makes quark and camembert and is looking forward to branching out. At this point, Mark still has a full-time day job, and they plan to expand very cautiously. A cream separator, which would allow them to sell skim milk and cream, will be a significant investment, one they know they will need to make in the near future.

Adam Cook, who used to sell milk and cheese at the Dupont market, is a friend and advisor, and recently visited their farm to help them prepare for market selling.

They are a terrific, energetic young couple. Their young children were at the market with them this morning. A steady stream of well-wishers were stopping by to welcome them to the market. We need to show support by buying their milk, and making sure that they can continue to prosper and provide local milk and cheese to us city-folk.

Mark was offering tastes of their milk, and it is delicious!

I have not yet purchased either their milk or cheeses, but I am a *BIG* fan of their drinkable yogurts, as is gebaby. They come in plain, honey or vanilla flavors and for us, 8oz for $2 is perfect for 1 drink/breakfast smoothie for gebaby, or 2 bowls or granola/cereal for me. It's pretty thick for a "drinkable" item, but that's why I love it with my granola.

Talk to them. Did you look at their web site?

They are a pretty new operation and use a "humane" dairy model that doesn't accommodate as much market-going as your drinkable yogurt guzzler might desire. :D However, I saw them at the H Street Market yesterday (see its own thread; their presence is new) and know the husband goes to a different market on Sundays when the wife (Claire) stays at Dupont. Takoma, maybe?

I think it was Clare whom I spoke with yesterday at the White House Farmers' Market and she had mentioned that they are having a Farm Day on Saturday, October 17. I am unsure about the time, as I had written down 11:00am to 2:00pm, but cannot remember or confirm.

I think it was Clare whom I spoke with yesterday at the White House Farmers' Market and she had mentioned that they are having a Farm Day on Saturday, October 17. I am unsure about the time, as I had written down 11:00am to 2:00pm, but cannot remember or confirm.

There's nothing on their web site yet, but they haven't updated to announce their presence at FFM, By The White House either. Someone at Takoma or Dupont Circle tomorrow should ask.