Apple Cider

Folks,

we were wondering if anyone knows where to get unpasteurized apple cider. That said we do know the legal situation in the state of Virginia (and we won't put it in chocolate!). If anyone has information on this feel free to reply in this post or per PM.

Thanks!!!

[We lived a while in OH and we got spoiled up there with delicious unpasteurized apple cider!)

Have you visited any of the area's farmers' markets?

After the Odwalla fiasco (death of young child), labels provide warnings, but isn't cider still sold unpasteurized?

I checked labels a lot last fall while pregnant and I didn't find any non-pasteurized stuff at the local farmers markets. I did see some at a potluck Thanksgiving dinner I was at but I don't remember the brand and I have no idea who brought it so I can't check.

We had one lady tell us that it was impossible to sell unpasteurized apple cider at the farmers market. We'll call the FDA next week to check on that. In supermarkets or other commercial establishments we couldn't find any apple cider that has not been heat treated. It would be a shame, since unpasteurized apple cider tastes SO much better. :angry:

PS. Nicholls FAQ on apple cider: link

I checked out the label on the apple cider I got this morning at the Del Ray market. It reads "flash pasturized".

Are you able to buy in bulk and juice yourself? There's some wonderful orchards around here, and the season is going to get away soon enough (for some varieties).

Good luck!

They definitely had unpasteurized cider at the little veggie/fruit stand on Rt. 7 near Tysons that has the big sign saying "Ecoganic Vegetables". I can't remember the name of the place, as I just stopped in for the first time yesterday, but feel like someone here will know it! They had flash pasteurized and also their own, unpasteurized cider. I'm a wimp and bought the pasteurized cider...

ETA: Just checked the Farmer's Market thread, and the market with the cider is called Potomac Vegetable Farms and it's in Vienna on Rt. 7/Leesburg Pike. Hope that helps!

They definitely had unpasteurized cider at the little veggie/fruit stand on Rt. 7 near Tysons that has the big sign saying "Ecoganic Vegetables". I can't remember the name of the place, as I just stopped in for the first time yesterday, but feel like someone here will know it! They had flash pasteurized and also their own, unpasteurized cider. I'm a wimp and bought the pasteurized cider...

ETA: Just checked the Farmer's Market thread, and the market with the cider is called Potomac Vegetable Farms and it's in Vienna on Rt. 7/Leesburg Pike. Hope that helps!

I was there on Sunday and, unless I completely missed them, all I saw was the flash pasteurized. Do you know if they just got it in? I may have to stop by again.

I have bought my cider and apples from Williams the last couple of years. It's just a small family run place, 2 miles off of Rt 211, down a long road. The apples are great, the cider better! Yes it is not organic, but they use a minium of stuff on their trees.

Nice folks!

I just purchased the first (unpasteurized) apple cider of the year from my neighbors at William's Orchard in Flint Hill. It's pressed and bottled on site. It is the most amazing cider I have ever tasted.

You have to buy it there, no where else. Get it while it lasts!!

I was there on Sunday and, unless I completely missed them, all I saw was the flash pasteurized. Do you know if they just got it in? I may have to stop by again.

I was there at about 5:30 on Monday (Columbus Day) and they had about 5 (?) of the unpasteurized bottles in the cooler on the left where the pasteurized stuff was. There was a sign saying that the cider with the red caps was their own-bottled, unpasteurized cider (the other bottles had white caps). Hope you can get your hands on some!

Potomac Vegetable Farms was pressing fresh cider onsite last Saturday (great to see with the kids) and was selling it for $5 a gallon. Williams Orchard (3 Williams Farm lane, Route 729, Amissville, VA) has the good stuff on the weekends for $5 dollars a gallon. Apples were 16.50 per bushel.

Both ciders are really good!

I just purchased the first (unpasteurized) apple cider of the year from my neighbors at William's Orchard in Flint Hill. It's pressed and bottled on site. It is the most amazing cider I have ever tasted.

You have to buy it there, no where else. Get it while it lasts!!

I have bought my cider and apples from Williams the last couple of years. It's just a small family run place, 2 miles off of Rt 211, down a long road. The apples are great, the cider better! Yes it is not organic, but they use a minimum of stuff on their trees.

Nice folks!

We went to Williams today and got two gallons of apple cider and a half a bushel of apples. YUMM! It really is delicious. They said they will have cider another 10 days or so - I don't think we can make it out there again, but we'll be there next year - thats for sure!

Beautiful drive too, now that the trees are changing .....

If you happen to come up the Maryland way, there is a small orchard on New Hampshire Avenue in Cloverly that sells apples and fresh pressed apple cider. They make it right there and it is very good, and unpasteurized. I think it goes for $5 a gallon. The place is the garage of a small brick house on the left just past Norwood Road, before you get to Rt. 198 if you are going north on New Hampshire.