Kitchen Views, Good Food & Family Friendly

jayandstacey

I've got two well behaved grade-schoolers. When we go out to eat, the kids love us to all sit at the counter if one exists - where we can see the food being made and talk with the employees in a relaxed way.

We recently enjoyed Family Meal in Frederick and have been back a bunch of times - the place seems perfect:

- Counter seating with kitchen views

- Excellent food, carefully prepared

- Family friendly (relaxed dress code, reasonable pricing, minimal stink-eye)

Are there others around DC that fit this bill?

Salt of the Earth in Pittsburgh was also this way if the comparison helps. Diners/Greasy Spoons are fine but we're really looking for more refined operations where the food is of a higher quality - OR - unique operations where (say) oysters are schucked at the bar. We're over the Japanese steakhouse concept, though we'd certainly check out operations that mighthve some similarities to them. Basically - places where the guests are engaged in the food process somewhat and that meet the criteia above.

Rustico, Alexandria, "Chef's Table". These counter seats are next to the kitchen, but the same menu as everyone else. Although more observational than hands-on, the view is entertaining and interesting. Plus, walk over to Buzz bakery afterwards for eye-widening dessert designs the little ones will adore.

So we went with Dan's recommendation, only (I think) because my daughter knows she likes Orzo - and thus figured...well, the way 11 year olds figure.

Thanks Dan - that was great - and the kids loved sitting at the counter. We spent some time chatting with Chef Will and the staff, we got to see pizzas made and wood being added to the pizza oven and we plowed through the menu trying all kinds of things. My weak review is in the Orso thread, where after 6 pages of comments there isn't much new I can add.

We don't get to Virginia very often but my kids love this kind of stuff. We'll eventually try the others as we find ourselves on the wrong side of the river...but in the meantime, any similar recommendations in Maryland?

We don't get to Virginia very often but my kids love this kind of stuff. We'll eventually try the others as we find ourselves on the wrong side of the river...but in the meantime, any similar recommendations in Maryland?

Grapeseed has a counter with a few tall bar seats overlooking the kitchen (maybe 5 of them?). There was someone eating at it with his son when I was there last weekend. I think it meets all of your criteria. And Jeff is offering an incredible multi-course meal special on the weekends.