Haiti - How You Can Help

DonRocks

Donate cash - not supplies or time, but cash - to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund which has been set up by President Obama.

Also Doctors Without Borders and Unicef.

May I suggest 1/1000th of your annual income? If you make $5,000, donate $5. If you make $20,000, donate $20. If you make $50,000, donate $50. If you make $100,000, donate $100.

From their websites:

"One hundred percent of donations made to the Clinton Foundation and the Communities Foundation of Texas go directly to relief efforts."

"MSF's [Doctors Without Borders] 2008 Expenses: Management and General, 1%, Fundraising, 12%, Program Services 87%"

"Support Unicef's Relief Fund in Haiti. 100% of your donation will be used to save children's lives."

Done. Thanks Don. You're doing a good thing.

So are you. I opened this thread up in case anyone else wants to write about other Haitian-relief organizations they feel are worthy. Please include a website address, and also highlight the percentage of donation that goes directly towards relief efforts (see the post I edited above as an example - I don't think you can go wrong with the three I mentioned).

Partners in Health -- "94% of donations go to program activities and medicines." This is a fantastic nonprpofit that has been on the ground with Red Cross and MSF/DWB since the beginning; like those organizations, they do amazing work in Haiti all the time, not just now. They have a specific Haiti relief donation page so you can be sure that your money (94% of it) is going directly to the services in Haiti right now.

Community Coalition for Haiti. This is a local, very small nonprofit group founded by surgeons. Right now, 100% of your donation to the earthquake fund will go to earthquake relief. The difference in this group is that they are sending groups of doctors to smaller towns and places where the earthquake damage is just as bad but is not covered by the media, and where the PAP population is fleeing. This effort is an attempt to prevent the Katrina effect in Haiti. There are two groups of doctors and nurses there now, one in Pignon, and another heading to Jacmel. Mr. lperry (disclosure: he is a board member) will be heading down with the third or fourth group later this week. They fully expect the relief effort to last months.

Edited to add the link for earthquake donations. Click

The Red Cross International Disaster Response Fund maintains a pool of money that can be rapidly deployed to disasters around the world. They are able to dip into the fund immediately to provide relief dollars without waiting for donations to come in; your donation will replenish the fund for the dollars that have been spent in Haiti so that the Red Cross can continue to provide fast relief in disaster zones.

I heard on NPR this evening that a law was passed that will allow folks to take the deduction for Haiti donations on their 2009 tax returns. In a related story a spokeman from the Red Cross was commenting that if your funds are designated to go to Haiti, that's where they will go. So if you are donating to the Red Cross, make sure to specify where you'd like your funds to go.