Fruit and Herbs

hillvalley

I've been playing around with fruit and herb combinations this weekend. It started with a chifonade of lemon verba added to a bowl of blueberries. Tasted great but visually a bit bland. Now it has moved to fino basil and strawberries. I sliced the strawberries, choped up the basil, and added a little lavander salt. Another winner. Next time I am thinking about adding white pepper, maybe a light acid like a little raspberry or balsamic vinegar. I could see serving this as a salad.

On to the pineapple sage I picked up at Dupont Market this morning. Thoughts on what fruit I should use?

I've been playing around with fruit and herb combinations this weekend. It started with a chifonade of lemon verba added to a bowl of blueberries. Tasted great but visually a bit bland. Now it has moved to fino basil and strawberries. I sliced the strawberries, choped up the basil, and added a little lavander salt. Another winner. Next time I am thinking about adding white pepper, maybe a light acid like a little raspberry or balsamic vinegar. I could see serving this as a salad.

On to the pineapple sage I picked up at Dupont Market this morning. Thoughts on what fruit I should use?

I love basil and strawberries, also will add balsamic and black pepper sometimes. I recall once having blackberries and sage together, haven't tried pineapple sage though so I don't know how different it would be. Please post what you come up with!

I have pineapple sage from DeBaggio's and am thinking about combining it with either blueberries or blackberries (both frozen after the market) in a sauce over pork for tonight. I have pork loin defrosted in the fridge....I'll let you know how it turns out.

I have pineapple sage from DeBaggio's and am thinking about combining it with either blueberries or blackberries (both frozen after the market) in a sauce over pork for tonight. I have pork loin defrosted in the fridge....I'll let you know how it turns out.
This is the second year I have grown pineapple sage from DeBaggio's and my favorite way to use it last year was to add it to cornbread stuffing that I put into a pork loin. The sage kept a bit of its fruitiness and matched beautifully with the pork. Last fall I added some to apples that I served with pork chops that also worked quite well.

I've done strawberries in a basil simple syrup with a wee swirl of balsamic added at the end. Very good. There's also a thai dish I love--a green papaya salad, but that treats the papaya as a vegetable more than as a fruit. It generally incorporates chilies, garlic, cilantro, thai basil and probably a bunch of other secret ingredients I don't know about. I've made an erzatz version with fresh coconut meat, but that was under some pressing culinary circumstances.

I also do an apricot sauce for pork that has mustard seed & cumin in it (although I guess those are spices, not herbs).

Have you tried pineapple sage with fresh pineapple?

I think this might be the better way to use pineapple sage. I used it in a sauce with caramelized onions, a strawberry jam (Kiss of Kerala by Crackpot Gourmet) that is not on the super sweet side, and chicken stock-reduced. It is a bit too subtle to stand up in this savory preparation.

The sauce was delicious over pork, nonetheless.

I ended up using the pineapple sage with blueberries and whipped cream. It was a nice combination but the pineapple sage needed to be chopped up fairly finely in order to taste it. If I was making this for others I would infuse the cream with the pineapple sage and then whip it, instead of using organic fancy stuff from the can and chopping the herb.

Dolcezza is coming out w a lemon-opal basil gelato very soon.

I've probably mentioned this elsewhere before, but fresh tarragon is great in French toast batter. Little fresh blueberries poached for a minute or two in maple syrup to go with?

I really would like suggestions and input. This morning, I went to the Mount Vernon Farmers Market for the first time. I loved it and will write up a post in a bit. I purchased an herb that is new to me which was said to be Papalo, but google research showed that it looks exactly like Pipicha. Both are similar to cilantro and can be substituted for flavor and in cooking.

Raw, it tastes like cilantro, parsley and a hint of citrus.

Any suggestions with fruit? In a savory dish to use like a cilantro garnish?

I really would like suggestions and input. This morning, I went to the Mount Vernon Farmers Market for the first time. I loved it and will write up a post in a bit. I purchased an herb that is new to me which was said to be Papalo, but google research showed that it looks exactly like Pipicah. Both are similar to cilantro and can be substituted for flavor and in cooking.

Raw, it tastes like cilantro, parsley and a hint of citrus.

Any suggestions with fruit? In a savory dish to use like a cilantro garnish?

Cilantro tastes good with mango or pineapple in a fruit salsa. Too bad the linked site didn't include a picture of culantro, which is more common than the two herbs that you mention. I also have a quibble with:

epazote = goosefoot = Jerusalem oak = lamb's quarters = Mexican tea = wormseed = stinkweed

Epazote is not equal to lamb's quarters, which are mild tasting and have ilttle aroma. And I've always known goosefoot to be amaranth. Stinkweed, yeah, epazote has a very distinctive stink--I've always found it to be reminiscent of petroleum.

Cilantro tastes good with mango or pineapple in a fruit salsa. Too bad the linked site didn't include a picture of culantro, which is more common than the two herbs that you mention. I also have a quibble with:

epazote = goosefoot = Jerusalem oak = lamb's quarters = Mexican tea = wormseed = stinkweed

Epazote is not equal to lamb's quarters, which are mild tasting and have ilttle aroma. And I've always known goosefoot to be amaranth. Stinkweed, yeah, epazote has a very distinctive stink--I've always found it to be reminiscent of petroleum.

They also had epizote, guajes and something that looked like very large oregano. I'll try the pipicah in a salsa. I'll have to chiffinade it thin, as it is a bit thicker than cilantro. I don't get the sense it would wilt as quickly.

Well, I found one that doesn't work: tart blackberries, whipped cream and basil. The tart of the berries and the basil was pretty awful. There were a few berries that were sweet and they went brilliantly with the basil so it is the tart that was the problem.

Not sure if this is off topic but tonight I picked up a package of sausage with blueberry and cinnamon (Bloom Supermarket - Rockville Pike) It just did not work.

I was thinking it would be nice sausage with a kick and some sweet cut in, but the blueberry's were not really sweet and everthing was just off.

Well, I found one that doesn't work: tart blackberries, whipped cream and basil. The tart of the berries and the basil was pretty awful. There were a few berries that were sweet and they went brilliantly with the basil so it is the tart that was the problem.
I like pineapple sage in pineapple upsidedowncake

strawberries with sweet woodruff (easy to grow around here)

lemon thyme with apple and lemon made into a fool