Weird Beef

DanCole42

That sounds like beef that has gone round the bend. Have you tried washing it off? Sometimes surface smell will go away with that. Otherwise, I'd be wary. Yellowish sounds not so good.

I just bought some eye round to make jerky.

The beef smells kind of funky.

One side has this weird prismatic yellow sheen - kind of like when you see gasoline on water.

Is that just what eye round smells like?

No, it should not smell funky. I use eye round for jerky and don't recall there being a distinctive smell.

Not sure about the yellow sheen, but was the meet in a vacuum packed bag? As mentioned they sometimes have a stink when first opened, but it should dissipate rather quickly.
Yeah, it was vacuum packed. It wasn't like the normal vacuum packed smell, though. And the yellow film was very creepy.

There can be some bacterial growth on the surface of meat that gives it an off aroma as you take it out of the packaging. Try soaking the meat (or chicken) in some water acidulated with 5% vinegar for a few minutes. Then rinse it off and smell it again. If it still smells bad, the spoilage was not just on the surface. Don't use it.