Chinese Food Around the World

StephenB

Here is an article from the NY Times that I found interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/21/dining/21chin.html

It's about the variations in Chinese food around the world. I don't think it's generally understood how important indigenous ingredients and cooking styles are to Chinese food.

I was particularly stuck by the assertion at the end that in Chinese food, rice is what you eat, everything else is a side dish. I know that's true in Japan, but what about China? Our recent wonderful meals at TemptAsian would argue otherwise.

There are some Indian-Chinese places in the DC area. What about Caribbean-Chinese? Or other combinations?

JohnB: What about a DR.COM exploration of hyphenated Chinese food?

There are some Indian-Chinese places in the DC area.  What about Caribbean-Chinese? Or other combinations?

JohnB:  What about a DR.COM exploration of hyphenated Chinese food?

There are Indian Chinese AKA Hakka Chinese places in the DC area? I knew there were some in NYC, but have never heard of DC spots. Please tell -- that's a craving that's particularly hard to scratch.

Edited by Kanishka

There are Indian Chinese AKA Hakka Chinese places in the DC area? I knew there were some in NYC, but have never heard of DC spots. Please tell -- that's a craving that's particularly hard to scratch.

Minerva has a number of dishes that fall into this category. In fact this topic recently came up on a short thread on Chowhound.

There are some Indian-Chinese places in the DC area.  What about Caribbean-Chinese? Or other combinations?

I recently visited Choong Hwa Woon in the heart of Koreatown (Annandale) - a Korean-Chinese restaurant specializing in jja jang myun (noodles in black-bean sauce). It looks gnarly and grodo, but it's really quite mild and satisfying. This place is worth a visit for anyone curious about trying something completely different, but I would stick with this basic dish rather than straying. And if you wear a tie during the meal, be prepared to throw it away after you finish: it's impossible not to splash yourself while slurping the noodles, and it's impossible not to slurp the noodles at least a little bit.

Cheers,

Rocks.