Cafe X-Press, Deli in Downtown Bethesda

Cafe X-Press opened back in the late 90s (I think) back in my first stint of working in Bethesda. I got used to getting a fix os something from there at least once every couple of weeks. It's still pretty good with their standards all still on the menu.

Good sandwiches, fairly quick service. The potato salad used to be good, but I think it is a bunch of mush these days (which is sad -- the flavor profile is still there, kind of, but the execution is pretty lame), so I will avoid that going forward. I like the Norfolk sandwich of late myself.

It is on the farthest away from the Metro end of Norfolk, so it is slightly out of the way, especially for those working in the big office buildings. But worth a jaunt from time to time.

I wind up with something from Cafe X-Press at least once a week, and so far everything has been mediocre to bad. Low-quality deli meat, flabby bagels, stale egg and tuna salad, and wilted slimy vegetables in the pre-made salads just to name a few disappointments. Their prices are very high for what they offer, also.

I wind up with something from Cafe X-Press at least once a week, and so far everything has been mediocre to bad. Low-quality deli meat, flabby bagels, stale egg and tuna salad, and wilted slimy vegetables in the pre-made salads just to name a few disappointments. Their prices are very high for what they offer, also.

Sounds like it's got it all :(

As long as you are paying high prices, have you gone to Cornucopia for a sandwich or a crostini? At least he's got first quality ingredients.