Leopold Brothers

Leopold Bros are going to start distributing their liquors in the DC/VA/MD area and will be hosting a series of tastings in the area. There will be a tasting TONIGHT (Wednesday) from 5-7pm at Napa 1015 from (1015 H Street NE). Tasting will include vodka, blackberry whiskey, and absinthe, and they're offering cocktail deals on drinks that include any Leopold Bros spirits.

Full disclosure: Lisa is friends with the owners and asked me to post this. I will say that we do enjoy their gin and tart cherry liqueur. I'll try to post more of their tastings as they happen.

Leopold Bros are going to start distributing their liquors in the DC/VA/MD area and will be hosting a series of tastings in the area. There will be a tasting TONIGHT (Wednesday) from 5-7pm at Napa 1015 from (1015 H Street NE). Tasting will include vodka, blackberry whiskey, and absinthe, and they're offering cocktail deals on drinks that include any Leopold Bros spirits.

Full disclosure: Lisa is friends with the owners and asked me to post this. I will say that we do enjoy their gin and tart cherry liqueur. I'll try to post more of their tastings as they happen.

Schneider's has carried a few of their products for a while, and I can personally vouch for the peach whiskey - it's sweet but not overly so, and has a nice balance of fruit to whiskey flavor, which bodes well for some of the other offerings.

[i just wanted to add that there's a right way, and a wrong way, to disseminate information here, and I'd like to thank xcanuck for doing it the right way.

People do, in fact want to know things like this. And people really don't care about relationships as long as they're fully disclosed.

Hell, I thank xcanuck for posting this, and I'll be on the lookout for Leopold Bros. liquors from this point forward. Thanks for doing this the right way.

Cheers,

Rocks]

Lindsay from Speakeasy Spirits and Eric, a distiller from Leopold, gave me the full tasting course at the Gibson a week or two ago.

The vodka I found surprisingly tasty.

The rum to me was rather agricole-esque.

The gin was very much GIN GIN GIN. It'll make a great gin and tonic when you want to taste GIN.

The Apple Whiskey was so good I wanted to smack my momma. The Peach Whiskey was a very interesting taste that I didn't expect to like but did, and I'd love to try it in some cocktails. The blackberry in the Blackberry Whiskey I thought just kind of overwhelmed the whiskey.

The liqueurs, for the most part, were pretty good. The tart cherry was good and interesting - I couldn't help but think of it almost as an anti-maraschino. I'd love to try drinks replacing maraschino or cherry Heering with it, as it doesn't taste ANYTHING like those but I think might work in the same situations. Eric was more excited about the cranberry than I was (though my mom wants to try it). The herbal liqueur was fine but nothing super special I didn't think.

The abinsthe though - that was another "smack yo momma" good moment. I've now had two absinthes that I actually LOVED rather than tolerated - this one, and the Obsello Grand Reserve I got to try at Tales.

I picked up a bottle of the New York Apple Flavored Whiskey last week and got a chance to indulge this weekend. It was really good. The nose was a bit of raisin and caramel, the mouthfeel buttery and viscous, and the taste started out with a sweetness, followed quickly by a burst of spice, and then a sweet decrescendo. It'll probably become a mainstay.