Lunch in Herndon

DanielK

Starting the new job next week in Herndon. Once I settle in, I won't have to go to the office more than 1-2 times a week, but I will definitely need some (cheap) places to grab lunch for the first month or so.

Looks like most things within a 5 minute drive are chain hell - what's good out that way?

Herndon

SBC Cafe (703) 793-7388

Angeethi Indian Cuisine (703) 796-1527

Teocalli Tamale (703) 934-9336

Euro Bistro - website

Uptown Brick Oven Pizza - website

Saigon Pho Style - website

Pollos Inka - website

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern - website

Ice House Cafe - website

THe famous DR guide says this. I really like Saigon Pho style, I would move it much closer to the top. Tortilla factory is another faviorite (been going there for over 20 years) but Don has never been a fan. There are a lot of small ethic restuarnts off the radar in this area, looks like you need to have the local lunch group get a recharge out there! http://www.donrockwe...704entry61704

Then there is this classic thread: http://www.donrockwe...indpost&p=21368

and this website http://www.herndoncuisine.com/

First thing I checked was Don's guide, and while those places are all in Herndon proper, I don't think any of them are immediately near the part of Herndon I will be in.

Long lunches may eventually be in the cards, but at the beginning, I'm looking for something cheap and quick, very close to the office.

Might help to tell us where your office is, hard to tell from the email

First thing I checked was Don's guide, and while those places are all in Herndon proper, I don't think any of them are immediately near the part of Herndon I will be in.

Long lunches may eventually be in the cards, but at the beginning, I'm looking for something cheap and quick, very close to the office.

The Village Center at Dulles, aka the Bavarian Nightmare, has a few places for quick, cheap lunch. Sorrento Grill, despite the name, is a kebab place with some excellent lunch specials. Chutney's, which is vegetarian Indian, is always crowded - I haven't been there, but they seem to be doing something right. I think Patisserie Lille, which is through the archway past Sorrento Grill, has started doing savory croissants and such at lunchtime - it's worth a look, anyway. Hama Sushi is wonderful, but probably doesn't qualify as either cheap or fast (unless you call ahead). Of the chain offerings, Fresh City seems to be pretty good - the salads, wraps, etc. are reasonably priced and pretty tasty. I'm not averse to Red Hot & Blue, either.

Going the other direction on Sunrise Valley, there's a small shopping center with a Harris Teeter - they have a pretty good-sized takeaway area with sandwiches, sushi, salad bar, pizza, hot buffet, etc. - a Pei Wei, and probably a few other things opened since the last time I drove by.

The Village Center at Dulles, aka the Bavarian Nightmare, has a few places for quick, cheap lunch. Sorrento Grill, despite the name, is a kebab place with some excellent lunch specials. Chutney's, which is vegetarian Indian, is always crowded - I haven't been there, but they seem to be doing something right. I think Patisserie Lille, which is through the archway past Sorrento Grill, has started doing savory croissants and such at lunchtime - it's worth a look, anyway. Hama Sushi is wonderful, but probably doesn't qualify as either cheap or fast (unless you call ahead). Of the chain offerings, Fresh City seems to be pretty good - the salads, wraps, etc. are reasonably priced and pretty tasty. I'm not averse to Red Hot & Blue, either.

Going the other direction on Sunrise Valley, there's a small shopping center with a Harris Teeter - they have a pretty good-sized takeaway area with sandwiches, sushi, salad bar, pizza, hot buffet, etc. - a Pei Wei, and probably a few other things opened since the last time I drove by.

"The Bavarian Nightmare" - I like that. :huh:

I've worked for about 8 years right where the OP describes...and have eaten more than I should in that time. And given that we're talking about a work lunch here, I'm going to assume we're talking about places that don't require reservations. To that end...

I'd add to the list Rubino's italian place next to the shopper's food warehouse - it is really a glorified pizza place with counter service and a good number of tables. Their italian cold cut is one of the best around. You can have it cold or hot and I only recently tried the hot version - it really brings out some flavors and I was expecting it might just be weird. Their thin crust pizza is also pretty good. Not the best ever, but pretty good.

The chinese take out place behind rubinos might be the worst chinese food I've ever had. The good news is that it is plentiful - or is that the bad news? I feel like I need a shower after eating there.

The next door down is Hama Sushi which has always been very good. They have a small, nice room that if you have a group of 10 or so could be closed off - it's that whole 'leave your shoes over here' kind of place in the room.

Ned Devines at the other end of the center is OK for comfort Irish food in a comfort Irish setting. I usually go for their shepards pie or fish and chips, and while neither is the best I've had, both hit the spot, especially on a nasty day. The fish and chips always seems like a TON of food.

SBC (Sweet Basil Cafe) is more refined than most. One big hit there is the chicken pot pie, which if they still serve it comes out blown up like a chefs hat. It has a very light and flakey crust and shows care. Many other dishes are good, and again, this cooking is a definite notch above most others, at only a bit more of a price.

Up toward old town Herndon, there's a peruvian chicken place on the left side near fudruckers. Pretty good, always crowded. If you Potbelly, there's a Potbelly across the street. Sometimes you need a PB&J. The Amphora diner is also on that side of the street, and while I generally wouldn't recommend it, if you feel the need for some scrambled eggs for lunch, this is your spot.

On the way to those places you pass Worldgate shopping center on the right, just after passing under the toll road. There's a Mongolian Grill in there that is really a factory buffett style place. I go when others choose it :rolleyes:. Turcuisine is (IMHO) the interesting option in Worldgate, serving Turkish food. I've been a handful of times but not recently, so I can't give a specific review. To a certain degree, Turcuisine is a very modern "hip" vibe to it, so tuck your shirt in if you go.

ABck toward the office, there's a new Generous George's right in the mix of new buildings along sunrise valleya by itself and not too easy to find. That place is kind of rediculous. The food is edible, and I'm a big guy. But each of the 2 or 3 times I've been there it's been all about the absurdly piled food placed before me.

The good news in Herndon is that there are LOTS of places, many that are even walking distance from where you describe. You have your choice of two Pho places, 3 burrito places, etc. The downside is that none are really super upscale - but that's OK. Most days I just want some lunch. And if you're like me and work with a bunch of others, you end up eventually trying the good, bad and the ugly as everyone gets a vote.

Yeah, after Day 4 so far it's Leftovers 2, Harris Teeter 2.

Sandwiches at Harris Teeter actually kinda suck.

Tarin Thai is also not terribly far from where you are. I know they do a buffet lunch, but have never tried it and would expect it to be inferior to their regular fare, which is pretty good. Try the spicy beef salad--they do not skimp on the heat.

Do we need an intervention? I am working from home wanting for the AC man to stop by and look at the furnace.

I generally work from home in the Herndon area if DanielK needs help trying some of the local joints. There is also an Ethiopian place at the Spring Street (Sunset Hills)./FFX County Parkway intersection and there are several good sources for kabobs.