Ski Vacation with Good Food

kturkey88

I would love to take a long weekend this winter to ski out west. Anyone have any recommendations for cities/mountains/resorts where the restaurant options have made the trip?

We’ve started looking into Park City but nothing has been bought yet. Anyone been?

We had some pretty superb food in Tahoe and Jackson, WY. I would recommend either of these places for excellent skiing and great grub. My wife and I also went out to Taos for a long weekend last year. Super skiing, reasonably priced and amazing new mexican food in Taos and in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Thanks for the suggestions! Telluride in particular sounds great, but Park City (Deer Valley Resort) is now booked - based mostly on the airfare options available to us. I'm very excited for the trip and hoping for the best wrt food and drinks. Will report back in early Feb!

Thanks for the suggestions! Telluride in particular sounds great, but Park City (Deer Valley Resort) is now booked - based mostly on the airfare options available to us. I'm very excited for the trip and hoping for the best wrt food and drinks. Will report back in early Feb!

FYI, mentally prepare for yourself (and allow planning time) for your plane to be diverted to Montrose for the arrival or departure. The runway is essentially on a shaved mountaintop in a box canyon. Thin air, wind, and other weather disturbances lead up to 20% of the flights to go to Montrose. Landing in or taking off from Telluride a can be quite an experience.

click

FYI, mentally prepare for yourself (and allow planning time) for your plane to be diverted to Montrose for the arrival or departure. The runway is essentially on a shaved mountaintop in a box canyon. Thin air, wind, and other weather disturbances lead up to 20% of the flights to go to Montrose. Landing in or taking off from Telluride a can be quite an experience.

click

Awesome pictures and good to know if we get to go to Telluride in the future, but this year we're going to Deer Valley, flying into SLC.

click

Everyone should fly into and out of the Telluride airport once. It's an adventure!

Having had my adventure, we always just fly right into Montrose and take Telluride Express into town. It's only about an hour's (beautiful) drive.

Remind me to tell you about the time we tried to fly out of Telluride and ended up at six airports in five states in an 18 hour period.

Super skiing, reasonably priced and amazing new mexican food in Taos and in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

I've got to second Santa Fe. It's not a premier ski area for that region, but IS quite good (certainly better than anything you are going to find on this side of the country) and is very close to the city itself. The added bonus is that since it is within a few hours of the big name places (Taos and some of the big Colorado destinations) it is considerably less crowded. A hidden gem.

Plus a simply beautiful place with a whole lot of non-kitschy native american flair (if you look for it)

You'll have to excuse me getting a bit enraptured about it - I am a native New Mexican.

Jackson Hole and Jackson, Wyoming offer incredible ski opportunities and plenty of fun restaurants. Snake River Grill, Rendezvous Bistro and Bubba's BBQ in Jackson are all good. Teton Village at Jackson Hole has plenty of food right at the mountain with Il Villaggio Osteria and the 4 Seasons Hotel offering the best options. Rendezvous Mountain has some wicked skiing.