Fortnum and Mason Tea

lperry

I need my Earl Grey, and the Fortnum and Mason US website has disappeared. I'm hoping a local store carries it, even if it is just for the holidays. If anyone has seen it around, (I buy the 500 gram tins of loose leaf tea) please let me know. Thanks.

No go at Dean and Deluca, Balducci's or Baltimore coffee and tea. Nothing comes up on the Teaism website either. Five people at Rodman's put me on hold (it must ring again after a few minutes), but nobody could find it, and they want me to call back on Monday. I'm starting to get cranky from the lack of appropriately delivered caffeine.

I need my Earl Grey, and the Fortnum and Mason US website has disappeared...

I just visited the USA version of the Fortnum & Mason site and saw the following message (picture attached).

It's possible that coding on the site is flipping you over to the UK site before you are able to read this text.

Or that the message is a terrible lie, and the pretty hate machine of a website won't let you order from the US.

post-5654-125823847087_thumb.jpg

Yep, US delivery is available from the main site. There has apparently been some recent change in UK export law, because a whole bunch of UK firms that did not previously ship directly to the US or anywhere else outside the EU have started doing so within the past 2-3 months. Marks and Spencer are shipping some stuff, but it doesn't appear that they've expanded to include much if any of their food range yet.

I just remembered where I've seen F&M tea: Figs middle-eastern carry-out near my house, on MacArthur Blvd. across the street from the Safeway, and next door to Kotobuki and Makoto. She's got candy from Fauchon, too.

Thanks! I'll give them a call.

Thanks to everyone else for the website recommendation. I feel better buying locally than having a single tin shipped across the pond, but if I can't find it anywhere else, I'll do it.

Fortnum & Mason pulled out of the US retail market years ago, of course. It's a bit bizarre that, according to the list of Worldwide Stockists on their website, you can buy their wares off the shelf in Moscow but not in the US.

They have good teas, but in the years since they left the US I've discovered many from other vendors that I like much better. Life goes on & sometimes things even improve. :(

^ My last tin came from London. And as for their teas, for me, it's not necessarily the breakfast tea, it's the Earl Grey. Opening the tin sends the fragrance of bergamot throughout an entire room. So lovely. I have tried many, many others, and all fall short in comparison.

^ My last tin came from London. And as for their teas, for me, it's not necessarily the breakfast tea, it's the Earl Grey. Opening the tin sends the fragrance of bergamot throughout an entire room. So lovely. I have tried many, many others, and all fall short in comparison.

Ah, now I understand.

A good friend of mine, who knows more about tea than anyone I've ever met, feels the same way about Fortnum & Mason's Earl Grey.

I lost my taste for Earl Grey a couple of decades ago - who can explain these things? - but I don't remember a better one before that happened.

I finally did what I should have done already, and I inquired to the customer service link on the F&M website. They no longer have any outlets in the US, and the only way to buy their products is through the website from the London store. Sigh.

Opening the tin sends the fragrance of bergamot throughout an entire room. So lovely. I have tried many, many others, and all fall short in comparison.
Not sure how susceptible you are to your own trickery, but look for the tiny bottles of Air Freshener at Trader Joe's. Bergamot dominates, so in a pinch, you could always break out the Twining's after squirting scented mist into the air.