Burns Day Celebration

SeanMike

A friend of mine is looking for a restaurant to host his Scottish organization's Robert Burns Day celebration. It's 25-30 people, roughly, and they'd prefer it be somewhere that serves haggis, but barring that, would be okay with them bringing their own (and, of course, doing the traditional haggis poem stuff).

Any ideas of where they could go? I kept thinking of English-style places, and Irish-style places, but I'm not certain on any Scottish places...

A friend of mine is looking for a restaurant to host his Scottish organization's Robert Burns Day celebration. It's 25-30 people, roughly, and they'd prefer it be somewhere that serves haggis, but barring that, would be okay with them bringing their own (and, of course, doing the traditional haggis poem stuff).

Any ideas of where they could go? I kept thinking of English-style places, and Irish-style places, but I'm not certain on any Scottish places...

The ones I'm most familiar with around here (Glasgow Uni) are always at some hotel or other, but we of course supply our own haggis and piper. I'd check with the Royal Mile first - if they aren't able to provide, they should know who can.

The ones I'm most familiar with around here (Glasgow Uni) are always at some hotel or other, but we of course supply our own haggis and piper. I'd check with the Royal Mile first - if they aren't able to provide, they should know who can.

I could have sworn that Royal Mile used to have haggis on the menu, but it doesn't show on the website menu.

I have been to many Burns nights and found that most of the big hotels (our group was generally 100+) were very eager to help us, even to try thier hand at making Haggis or let us bring our own in for a plating charge. They would also provide the "neeps and tatties". Hopefully we will try our own celebration this year with a homemade haggis. Find a place early (that is a large group for many retuarants in DC) and work with the Chef to see what they can do. Since the size of your party many limit the venue, I would start there first.

Wiki has a nice write up on how to do your own celebration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_Night

I believe that's the one Scottish restaurant he knew, but was a bit hesitant since the haggis was listed as an appetizer.

They're a pretty friendly place, so it's worth a call, but my bet is that they'll be doing their OWN Burns Night celebration, since after all they are a Scottish pub!