Dining Near New York's Penn Station

DanCole42

Looks for fancy-shmancy dining near Penn Station that can feed me dinner between the end of my executive power meeting at 5 or 6 and my train leaving for DC at 8 on Wednesday, June 15th...

Keens Steakhouse on W. 36th comes to mind. It's my favorite steakhouse in NYC and is a short walk from Penn Station.

Keens Steakhouse on W. 36th comes to mind. It's my favorite steakhouse in NYC and is a short walk from Penn Station.

I can't justify spending that much on a steak when I can get better food and service at half the price at Ray's. :)

I can't justify spending that much on a steak when I can get better food and service at half the price at Ray's. :)

Have you actually been to Keens? Not knocking Ray's (would never do that, especially here), but Keens is definitely a different kind of experience---very old school New York and in my experience, totally worth it. I've also had consistently excellent food and service there.

Anyway, you said fancy, and in the immediate area around Penn Station, the pickings are kind of slim.

Assuming you got out at 5, you could take the train up and eat at Nougatine at Jean Georges, and make it back to Penn Station by 8pm. If you got out at 6 it could be too close for comfort, though. Alternatively, and this is kind of a hike, you could try and get down to Scarpetta.

And for lowbrow, you can walk across the street from Penn Station into a Brother Jimmy's.

Assuming you got out at 5, you could take the train up and eat at Nougatine at Jean Georges, and make it back to Penn Station by 8pm. If you got out at 6 it could be too close for comfort, though. Alternatively, and this is kind of a hike, you could try and get down to Scarpetta.

And for lowbrow, you can walk across the street from Penn Station into a Brother Jimmy's.

Nougatine and Scarpetta are great although time-wise it doesn't look like Scarpetta would be all that feasible. For a non-fancy option, I'd go to Shake Shack.