Country Inns, Scenic Drive

lion

Looking for a casual dining experience at an Inn within a ~2 hour driving distance from NOVA. Would have liked to take the opportunity to visit Town House, however it's too far for a day trip.

Anybody got a good suggestions for scenic locations perhaps along the WVA-VA border?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't posted about it yet, but had a very enjoyable experience this weekend at The Ashby Inn in Paris, VA. Dinner on Saturday was wonderful and it felt like a very good value for a great meal. Breakfast (included with the room night) was also delicious - and prepared by Chef Tarver King, as was dinner. More details soon in the appropriate thread. Lunch is served Wed-Sat; a slightly shorter, slightly less formal menu.

Also out that way is L'Auberge Provencale, in White Post, VA (near Boyce). I haven't been there, so can't speak to any of the specifics. It's not too much farther than Paris and has received good reviews. If you're looking to stay at the inn, check out their Facebook page for possible discounts.

Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville is also a nice place to visit for a meal during a day out in the country. Pub atmosphere, most meats (and produce) from Ayrshire Farm or other local growers.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks all!

We could travel south to Charlottesville or southwest as well. It's my GF's birthday on Thursday and she decided to take the day off, has Friday off and so it's a last minute dash to find a nice place to take her.

If there any in that direction, I would appreciate the tips!

Also out that way is L'Auberge Provencale, in White Post, VA (near Boyce). I haven't been there, so can't speak to any of the specifics. It's not too much farther than Paris and has received good reviews. If you're looking to stay at the inn, check out their Facebook page for possible discounts.

We went to L'Auberge a couple years ago and were ... underwhelmed. The meal wasn't bad by any means, but at those prices we didn't feel that it was anything unique, innovative or special (I think the term I finally settled on was "tired"). We both agreed that for that kind of coin we could have had two meals we'd enjoy better closer to home.

This sounds harsher than I mean it to be: the setting is spectacular and the ingredients were fresh, local and obviously treated with care. There was just no wow factor. Our service was also a bit stiff which could have contributed to this impression.

We went to L'Auberge a couple years ago and were ... underwhelmed. The meal wasn't bad by any means, but at those prices we didn't feel that it was anything unique, innovative or special (I think the term I finally settled on was "tired"). We both agreed that for that kind of coin we could have had two meals we'd enjoy better closer to home.

This sounds harsher than I mean it to be: the setting is spectacular and the ingredients were fresh, local and obviously treated with care. There was just no wow factor. Our service was also a bit stiff which could have contributed to this impression.

I think those are valid criticisms. The place I'l looking for is perhaps more casual and friendlier. I think driving outside the city and suburbs, it's important to find a vibrant place. Actually, I remember having a great dinner and breakfast near Big Sur in CA, 6 or 7 years ago. The breakfast especially was an incredibly fresh and the front of the restaurant was all this metal worked figures rusting in the sun.

Does anyone know places along the Skyline Drive?

Not an Inn, but views off the chart once you arrive, and could meet your "vibrancy" criteria...

Are you familiar with The Restaurant at Patowmack Farm?

If it's an option for you, web-based maps could help identify the most scenic route there & back.

Funny! GF mentioned that place last year for a dinner with some friends perhaps Labor Day weekend. I was just too drained from a few weekends to want to be outside at that point.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the replies. Please continue!

You also might want to check out Poplar Springs - The Inn Spa in Casanova, VA. I went there last summer for a party and it was very nice. The food is very good and it's in a rural setting, you can also sign up for various spa activities. I believe they have a website.

You also might want to check out Poplar Springs - The Inn Spa in Casanova, VA. I went there last summer for a party and it was very nice. The food is very good and it's in a rural setting, you can also sign up for various spa activities. I believe they have a website.

We're actually going to Spa World this weekend! Spa is a good idea though.

Still haven't found a B&B, (at this late date most places are booked up), but here's my research in case anyone else can use it in the future.

Lauren Lodge

Historic Harper's Ferry B&B Listings

We're actually going to Spa World this weekend! Spa is a good idea though.

Still haven't found a B&B, (at this late date most places are booked up), but here's my research in case anyone else can use it in the future.

Lauren Lodge

Historic Harper's Ferry B&B Listings

We stayed at Smithfield Farm in Berryville and really loved it. These are the same folks with a stand at the Dupont farmers market. There is an onsite store selling pork products, etc. and a working farm to wander around.

I have no advice on the b&b thing, but Spa World rocks. Have a good time!

Glad to hear. We've been saving using some 50% coupons for a few months. Looking forward to the relaxation.

Any recommendations on food there? :)

We ended up at Patowmack Farm for dinner and stayed at a B&B nearby. "Thursdays at the Farm" was small plates which as the website says were pretty reasonably priced. We pretty much had every plate on the menu that night except for 2-3 meat ones and all were very tasty except for the Peach Gazpacho with baby corn and corn silk. Somehow that one just didn't execute well together. The glass of red wine I had was from Fabbioli Cellars was one that I didn't finish. My GF had lavender lemon infused cocktail that she enjoyed.

Highlights were the little tomatoes from the Early Bird Tomoato Salad. The Broiled Peach with merry goat round cheese and fried bread. Very tasty. Also liked the Fried Squash Blossoms with basil pesto and preserved lemon. The Chocolate Layer Cake for dessert was a big hit! Especially with the oatmeal stout milkshake. Selection of Chef's local cheese was also excellent.

All in all, with the scenery and view which was perfect that night, I would recommend the Farm on Thursday.

The next day we stopped at Hillsborough Vineyard and had their sample flight of 8 wines. Joe H was right the 2006 Bloodstone is a very good wine and arguably my favorite VA wine so far. While, it's still young wine compared to my favorite Italians, it has a weight that communicates a complexity that is surprising. As for the $28 price point, feel it would be better at $22, however I'm not conversant in the price points of local vines enough. Visiting the vineyard is a must, my GF didn't want to leave as we sat on the patio eating the local old German Wiesse Kase goat cheese and drinking their Serafina Rose wine.

I think that area of VA really is an enjoyable day trip from the DC metro area and the wines and vineyards will be great in an another decade probably able to compete at the world level.

Good reference point: Virginiawine.org

Thanks to everyone's replies, it helped a lot during a busy week for visiting places that I'm not familiar with!

I ate there not to long ago, food was great everything was cooked to perfection and do not skip out on dessert, by far one of the freshest and most seasonal dessert menu I've seen in a while. The whole property is beautiful, especially the main dinning room.