Brunch or Lunch in Baltimore

Choirgirl21

A friend is in town and we're meeting for lunch tomorrow. I had hoped to do brunch at Woodberry Kitchen with him, but I have to work on Sunday and they are only open for dinner on Saturday so I am in need of other suggestions. My fall back is Miss Shirley's, but I was there recently. There are no real requirements or restraints - we both appreciate fine dining and casual food, attention to local ingredients is a plus but not a requirement in this case, cost as long as it's not at the highest end is probably not a major factor, any ethnic cuisine is fine as well as American, it just has to be in Baltimore or along the 95 corridor b/w Baltimore and DC.

I love Baltimore and have been to a good number of places there, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank today.

Thanks!

A friend is in town and we're meeting for lunch tomorrow. I had hoped to do brunch at Woodberry Kitchen with him, but I have to work on Sunday and they are only open for dinner on Saturday so I am in need of other suggestions. My fall back is Miss Shirley's, but I was there recently. There are no real requirements or restraints - we both appreciate fine dining and casual food, attention to local ingredients is a plus but not a requirement in this case, cost as long as it's not at the highest end is probably not a major factor, any ethnic cuisine is fine as well as American, it just has to be in Baltimore or along the 95 corridor b/w Baltimore and DC.

I love Baltimore and have been to a good number of places there, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank today.

Thanks!

We had a good brunch experience at Gertrude's at the Baltimore Museum of Art a couple of months back. They serve an extensive brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 - 3:00. The menu includes the usual brunch foods along with more lunch type items: soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers, entrees. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice and they do have a really lovely outdoor seating area if the weather permits.

and they do have a really lovely outdoor seating area if the weather permits.

Thank you. A friend also mentioned Gertrude's to me earlier today. It's yet another Baltimore place I've been meaning to get to, but I didn't realize they had outdoor seating. It is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow so I think we have a winner.

Sounds like you're already decided and may not see this but this is yet another vote for Gertrude's. I've sent people there repeatedly and always gotten great feedback; plus, outdoor dining, and a stroll through the sculpture garden (or even the free parts of the museum, which has a sizeable French Impressionism collection, of all things) before or after brunch, will be just lovely.

FWIW, I remember an awesome crab benedict on the menu, and if your visitors aren't close to the Chesapeake usually, it's a good enough version to be a treat.

plus, outdoor dining, and a stroll through the sculpture garden (or even the free parts of the museum, which has a sizeable French Impressionism collection, of all things) before or after brunch, will be just lovely.

We did end up at Gertrude's and it was wonderful for all these reasons. I had been to the museum once before, but must have restricted my visit to the contemporary art and perhaps a special exhibit that drew us there. I was really fascinated by the Cone collection - who knew that someone local had not only collected so many pieces from artists like Picasso and Matisse, but had also requisitioned many of them.

Anyway, the food - crab benedict for my friend and the crab and sherry mushroom omelette for me - both good, but I think a tad under seasoned. I was more enthused about the setting and the art in the end, but I would happily go back for those (and the mimosas) any day.