A Request to Servers

Waitman

I apologize to the server we had last night, but when -- for the second time in a week -- he said "how did you find our menu tonight?" (The earlier waiter, the Friday before, said "how did WE find OUR menu" -- a particularly egregious construction), I blurted out "we just looked down at our place setting and there it was!" It was rude, and I apologized, but jeez the waiter-speak is getting out of control. Just talk normal.

Thank you.

No apologizing here....

Dear Servers,

I am in your establishment to enjoy the aroma of the food you are serving not to be overwhelmed by your perfume or cologne. I don't care if it's good stuff or crap from the drugstore, I should not smell you coming and going. Your odor should not come before the hard work the BOH has put in to my dinner.

Signed,

Don't want to smell you

No apologizing here....

Dear Servers,

I am in your establishment to enjoy the aroma of the food you are serving not to be overwhelmed by your perfume or cologne. I don't care if it's good stuff or crap from the drugstore, I should not smell you coming and going. Your odor should not come before the hard work the BOH has put in to my dinner.

Signed,

Don't want to smell you

I'm with you entirely. Servers should never wear perfume or cologne unless applied in an extremely small amount. But your comment also applies to restaurant customers.

I can't tell you how many times my sense of smell has been assaulted by a woman (or sometimes a man) who has apparently applied their fragrance for the evening with a Wagner Power Painter before heading out on the town for dinner. Then she sits in the middle of an invisible rose/lavender/vanilla/citrus/strip-club-smell dust cloud for the rest of the night affecting every person within a 25 foot radius of her.

At least restaurants can correct a server who over-applies. The guests who over apply perfume or cologne live their life knowing 100% for sure that their shit literally doesn't stink. It smells like rosefarts. :)

Problem is that it's not always perfume or cologne...many people are oblivious to the fact that the (insert product here: shower gel/ shampoo or cream rinse/ deodorant soap,etc.) with a strong scent can carry and offend just as much as a perfume.