Plush Gelato and Coffee, 175 Maple Ave. E. in Vienna - Closed

Biotech

I'm embarrased to say that even after living across the street from Plush for the past 5 months, last night was my first trip to the gelato and coffee shop. I didn't try the coffee, which I should, but my gf and I did partake in the gelato. Their regular cup ($4.50) is three generous scoops of up to three flavors. They also sell by the pint and quart. All gelato is made in house and is made of whole milk, which they oddly pointed out twice during my ordering experience.

They have quite a few flavors and I decided on chocolate hazelnut, toasted almond, and tiramasu. My gf went with raspberry and coconut (odd combination, but whatever). All flavors tasted were outstanding (we could have tasted as many as we wanted prior to deciding) and the consistency was really creamy and full. Their presentation is beautiful as well - each gelato flavor is garnished with a key ingredient (e.g., mint had candied mint leaves on top, banana had banana "flowers" made from slices of split and dried bananas).

Given that this place is the same price as Cold Stone (gross) across the street, I know where I'll be going to get my frozen treat fix. I plan to get through all their flavors and try their coffee, although my favorite right now is Cafe Amouri.

Here is a link to their shop
Plush Gelato and Coffee

We made our first trip to Plush Gelato & Coffee on Saturday and may have to have our mail forwarded to their store. I'm no expert on gelato/sorbetto, but what we had this weekend was extraordinary. I had a combo of the Chocolate Hazelnut and Dulce De Leche, Paula had the Chocolate Hazelnut and the Mango, and our almost 4 year-old had the Strawberry (she usually orders either chocolate or 'pink' desserts). We ate in silence until I finally uttered "this is f-ing awesome" with Rain Man-like repetition. The texture was incredibly creamy and each flavor was strongly (in a good way) identifiable. The fruit flavors are their true strength here, as both the Strawberry and Mango sorbettos tasted like eating freshly-picked fruit. After we finished, the 4-year old asked "can we get some more"? We don't normally give in like this, but Paula and I really wanted to try more flavors so the 3 of us shared the Tart Lemon and the Strawberry Basil while our 4-month old kept lunging herself towards the gelato.

We kept talking about how we wanted to try more and more flavors, which is how we wound up back there on Sunday. I had a combo of the Blood Orange and the Tiramisu (odd combo but it strangely worked together), Paula had a combo of Raspberry and the Vietnamese Coffee (the best non-fruit based flavor), and the 4-year old had the Cookies n' Cream (the least favorite flavor that we have tried so far, but it was still pretty good). We didn't have any coffee but I noticed that they sell (and presumably use) Caffe Pronto beans, which is what is served at Restaurant Eve.

I look forward to working my way through the rest of their menu.

Closed. Empty shop. Vienna Patch reports the owners say they couldn't sustain the business in the colder months.

Personally, I think any business there will be stressed due to the ridiculous parking options in the immediate area. In addition, they didn't open until 11AM, apparently, so there goes their AM coffee sales.

Closed. Empty shop. Vienna Patch reports the owners say they couldn't sustain the business in the colder months.

Personally, I think any business there will be stressed due to the ridiculous parking options in the immediate area. In addition, they didn't open until 11AM, apparently, so there goes their AM coffee sales.

We found this out the hard way on Saturday when we went by and saw the empty shop. There was a sign that said to look for them at smartmarkets.org. The owners and staff were always very friendly and I wish them well; however, I also never understood why they didn't open until 11AM since they took a lot of pride in their coffee service.