"Man v. Food", on Travel Channel

SeanMike

I like watching it, but I also get sick watching it - I just don't understand why people want to do the challenges.

That being said...

Started a new thread since there's discussion on the show in the Guajillo thread but none dedicated. I was watching tonight while we did TDN and they hit DC.

First stop was standard: Ben's Chili Bowl. Sure. Okay.

Next stop was a fried fish joint on H St NE that I've already forgotten the name. It looked interesting though, and it's also interesting to see an older place like that (20-some years, I think?) versus the places I've gone on H St or considered going to (the Pug, Queen Vic, etc.).

Then they went to .... Annapolis?!

Anyways. Some "Delly" that does 6 pound milkshakes and couples that with a 1.5 pound sandwich for the challenge.

I'll be honest: I'd try that one. (Also the woman who was doing the challenge with Adam was cute, too bad she drank 1/4 of the shake and gave up without even trying the burger - come on, get someone in there who can actually EAT! I can't, but I can fake it!)

Next stop was a fried fish joint on H St NE that I've already forgotten the name. It looked interesting though, and it's also interesting to see an older place like that (20-some years, I think?) versus the places I've gone on H St or considered going to (the Pug, Queen Vic, etc.).

Hey, we have a thread on it!

Awesome, since I couldn't remember their name! B)

And given most of that thread: no, I don't know how DC used to be. But from what I saw on there - I will probably try to swing by and try that out and see how it is. Until time travel is invented, I'll just have to try out what we have here and now and see if it's as delicious as it looks. Reminds me of some of the places my brother told me about in Mississippi.

Awesome, since I couldn't remember their name! B)

And given most of that thread: no, I don't know how DC used to be. But from what I saw on there - I will probably try to swing by and try that out and see how it is. Until time travel is invented, I'll just have to try out what we have here and now and see if it's as delicious as it looks. Reminds me of some of the places my brother told me about in Mississippi.

Back in the day, when I was still a working stiff in DC, most days I just couldn't face the cafeteria and Horace and Dickie's was one of the places in my lunch rotation. I would show up about 12:30 and get in the line, which usually stretched out the door and down the block a ways. I stood out, normally being the only white guy and the only one wearing a tie. That was an interesting line. Once I got into a conversation with the next guy and somehow the conversation turned to the New Madrid Fault and what it might mean for Memphis. You just never know.

The fish was certainly good. I never could keep myself from eating half of it straight out of the bag while driving up Mass Ave on my way back. It was a job to keep the grease off my suit, and I didn't always succeed, but it was worth it.

I watch M v. F when there's nothing else on and I'm stuck on my elliptical. That DC episode has actually inspired me to try Horace and Dickies. It's bad enough that Adam pigs out by himself. His new show is called M v. Food Nation, I believe and involves him coaching others to pig out.

I was watching Saturday food shows today and saw a commercial for M Vs. F. Yikes! Adam is twice as large since the last time I've seen him! He had better be careful and try to reverse that train. B)

I like Adam and think he's got a great attitude and embraces places with great verve. I do have concerns about the stress he puts his body under with those gluttonous challenges and hope he transitions his career into something not focused on volume.

I met him once in Philly. Very nice guy.

Is it sick or twisted that I watched every single episode of this on Netflix in about two weeks when I was home on maternity leave earlier this year? I really enjoyed it, not so much for the eating challenges, but for the coverage of the local specialties in the various cities. Adam is a good host, but I inevitably skipped to the next episode before the challenge.