Parking on H Street

The Doctor

Hello, I plan to dine on H Street tomorrow late afternoon, but I'm wondering if I can leave my car nearby earlier without worry.

In my neighborhood (Adams Morgan), there are no zone restrictions on Saturdays, but I believe that there are in Georgetown. What's it like on H Street? Can I leave my car on one of the side streets for more than two hours without getting a ticket on a Saturday? And if so, are some streets safer than others? I will eventually end up at Taylor Gourmet, which is in the 1100 block.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Hello, I plan to dine on H Street tomorrow late afternoon, but I'm wondering if I can leave my car nearby earlier without worry.

In my neighborhood (Adams Morgan), there are no zone restrictions on Saturdays, but I believe that there are in Georgetown. What's it like on H Street? Can I leave my car on one of the side streets for more than two hours without getting a ticket on a Saturday? And if so, are some streets safer than others? I will eventually end up at Taylor Gourmet, which is in the 1100 block.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Some memories are hard to escape: I walked down H street, N. E. in the late '60's when vacant lots smouldered with nearby darkened brick walls charcoaled with flames. In the late '70's Boyd's opened on H street a couple of doors down from D. C.'s first Popeye's and in the '80's it moved to 12th street changing its name to Horace and Dickey's. Boyd's had D. C.'s greatest fish sandwich; Popeye's had-at the time-D. C.'s best fried chicken that wasn't finished in a skillet. Both were worth driving to H street for. Both also had the memory of their neighborhood from years before. Today, almost a half century later, I still feel a bit insecure going not for fish but for moules at Granville Moore's. Of course I was born on North Capitol street a few blocks north of Gonzaga and that neighborhood has gone through its own changes. I still feel a bit insecure walking down the street-and I was born nearby...

On the west end of H Street (or at least on my block), it's zoned parking 8am-6pm Monday-Friday. What you DONT want to do is park in the AutoZone lot, they will ticket your ass. Besides that, I haven't heard of any issues, you might be able to park on H Street itself. If you haven't visited in the last 2 months, H Street looks totally different.

Two weeks ago around 8pm on a Saturday night, my 2 year old daughter was still pretty restless so I took her outside for a quick walk. We headed east on H Street, and I was pretty sure I'd tire her out in about 5 minutes. As we neared 7th Street, we heard some loud go-go music blaring nearby. We turned the corner to find about 300 people on a blocked-off stretch. A DJ had her booth set up, people were dancing in the streets, residents had tables set with BBQ & beer & and what-have you in front of their houses. Older black folks, young professionals, new families, soldiers in uniform, ethnic hipsters and Hill staff, people just waiting out at the bus stop who wandered over--everyone hanging out, laughing, swaying, just loose and chill.

My daughter joined the go-go dancers, one of whom gave her a helium balloon. We mingled for about 45 minutes, walked back home. I dropped her off with her mom, looked for my flask, couldn't find it. Spying a 10 oz handle of Whole Foods Maple Syrup, I emptied the remaining half ounce and filled it up with rye and Benedictine and headed back to the party. Commentary ensued. One of the best nights I've ever had in DC, made alot of new friends.