Pouring Soup Tableside

Dave Pressley

But I don't get the silliness of having the solid ingredients in delivered in bowl into which the server pours the liquid at the table -- yet another trite food trend that needs to die.

This is normally done so you can see the soup's other components before the soup covers them up. Also, depending on the thickness of the soup, it may be done so the soup isn't sloshing around the bowl and onto the rim as it is being brought to your table. Hardly a "trite food trend".

This is normally done so you can see the soup's other components before the soup covers them up. Also, depending on the thickness of the soup, it may be done so the soup isn't sloshing around the bowl and onto the rim as it is being brought to your table. Hardly a "trite food trend".

pouring the soup table side also keeps the edges of the bowl/cup clean and makes the soup look like not coming from a roller coaster.

pouring the soup table side also keeps the edges of the bowl/cup clean and makes the soup look like not coming from a roller coaster.

Plus it stays hot in the pitcher whereas if it sits in the bowl for two minutes waiting for a runner it gets cold. I like the tableside pouring of soup on multiple levels.

Wow! A tripple smack-down on my soup pouring comment, including one from the big kahuna himself :mellow: The three comments were reasonable but not severally or as a whole sufficient to change my mind :unsure: Let's bring this back to Ripple. My post may come across as more negative than I intended. I encourage folks to give this place a try; I don't think it is likely to disappoint. Logan Cox has an admirable track record of turning out great food and deserves our patronage.

** Listen, I totally understand why they do this, but I still find it kind of twee for my taste. Doesn't the menu tell me what's in the soup?

There's presentation concerns with not pouring tableside as well. Unless you have an extraordinarily steady hand, it's extremely easy to jostle the soup and cause for a pretty sloppy bowl.