Southern Tier

maria23

Creme Brûlée Stout... anyone had it? Liked it? Too over the top? Curious about others' opinions.

Maria

I had it on tap about a year ago....VERY sweet but I liked it a lot as a dessert beer. Very hard to drink an entire pint though due to its sweetness. Love the smell but for people set on more traditional beers I can see how one wouldn't enjoy this at all.

Creme Brûlée Stout... anyone had it? Liked it? Too over the top? Curious about others' opinions.

Maria

It is an excellent dessert beer but a little goes a long way. We had it after a steamed crabs last summer and the sweetness was welcome after all of the salty Old Bay Seasoning. We split one 22 0z bottle four ways and that was plenty. It is very limited production. It is only released in the June which is odd because it is more of a cold weather beer. I talked with a brewery rep who said the June release is a function of their limited space and they would rather release it in the fall or winter but they have other products which come out this time of year. I would be surprised if you could find any right now. All in all Southern Tier's beers are among the best beers that I have had lately. They are getting some very favorable national attention. I especially like their year round beers including the 2xipa and pale.

It mellows quite a bit if you cellar it for a year or two. The sweetness goes way, way down the same way barleywines tend to.

Not to brag, but I currently have bottles of all three cuvees laying down in my cellar for some special occasion. So I got that going for me.

Maria

Had probably 3-4 bottles of it. My wife loves it, I think it tastes good but I'm not sure that I like it as beer. I'm happy to drink it, but indeed can't handle it in much quantity. The 2xIPA, Imperial IPA, Iniquity Black Ale, or Pumking I will generally drink as much of as I can get my hands on...

I think I may be done with Pumking. Every year I find I enjoy it less than the year before. I am not sure if they are changing the recipe or my tastes are changing, but this year seemed so extremely biscuity I just couldn't get into it.

To be fair, though, I think that pumpkin beers are the most overdone, cliche, ubiquitous trick in the brewers world today and I have put a jihad out on all of them, so my opinion is, admittedly, a bit subjective.

I am not a fan of the Creme Brulee (the only time I was able to enjoy it was at a Four Coursemen dinner, paired beautifully with a cookie plate for dessert), but I gotta tell ya, I looooove the Pumking - and I am not normally a fan of pumpkin beers. Granted, this was the first year I tried the Pumking, and it was during a very debaucherous night of beer-ing and football-ing and general rabblerousing, so perhaps my love will thin over time.