Casual Downtown Restaurant; Pre-Cherry Blossom 10-Miler

mbalaver

I'm trying to figure out where to take 6-8 women for an early dinner tonight. They are in from NY to run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler. Original criteria included pizza/pub food, casual, not expensive, fun atmosphere, and preferably within walking distance fo Metro Center. My first thought was Matchbox. Turns out they are having pizza for lunch, but at least Matchbox has burgers and other stuff. I can't get excited about other options that seem like they fit the criteria (Carmines, Cap City, Chef Geoff's, Potenza). Againn might work, but could be more upscale than what they want and they might not be able to handle a big group. Maybe Hill Country, though personally it gives me a headache to have to go get my own food. Anything I'm missing? We can go as early as 5, which I hope would beat the 7:00 Caps game rush.

If they've already had pizza, maybe small plates would work? If you're going to be going around 5, what about Graffiato? They open for dinner at 5 PM on Saturdays.

For other small plates, Zaytinya or the newly-reopened Jaleo come to mind.

I've never been to the Hamilton, but it does seem to have something for everybody.

Thanks for all your good suggestions. My friend and her 10-miler friends decided to stay in and eat at their hotel, which turned out to be a service disaster. Fortunately for me, I ended up at a movie and dinner at the bar at Oyamel. I met up with them for brunch today, at a nice restaurant at a hotel where again the service was just terrible. Two of them had gone to Estadio Friday night, so at least they won't leave DC with nothing but bad DC restaurant feelings.